Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new Dura-Ace 9200 revealed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

11-34 cassette available; also interesting, a 54-40 chainset.

no mechanical shifting option. rim brake options still available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,298 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ultegra 8100 is also being launched - also DI2 only...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

and not available til 2023 I've seen on Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

The prices are nuts. I think I saw £699 for the rear derailleur

It's to give folks time to agree terms of kidney sales to be able to afford them. 😀

• Advertisement

Actually is there truly wireless gearing available? Not sure I see the point to it even if there is, would mean you have to power/charge both shifters and derailleurs individually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Semi wireless. RD & FD wired to a battery in the seat tube with the connection for charger in the RD. Coin batteries for the shifters which are supposed to last 10 years.

At least you won’t have to buy new wheels 😀

Ah that makes sense, I guess changing gears is no different to clicking a mouse button really is it.

Supposed to be 10% extra clearance on the disc pads. Wonder if that will be enough to stop the annoying ticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

It's weird that even though they kept rim brakes they decide not to even bother make the rim brake shifter wireless. Definitely a sign that it's probably gonna be the last rim brake version for Dura Ace.

I do like the new smaller front derailleur, lack of junction box and no need for blue tooth sensor are all good points.

Available next month apparently. Canyon already have bikes on their site with the new versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not sure how I feel about the ability to keep the same wheels / no sprocket smaller than 11t. Very positive for road I guess where I've personally never felt the need for anything bigger than 50x11 and not needing to faff around with freehub bodies will be great, but a negative if they are going to use the same technologies on gravel bikes where SRAM and Campagnolo offer a 9 or 10t sprocket which seems much better on a 1x system, particularly if you ever intend to use a 1x on a road or group ride.

I have current Ultegra Di2 disc and I love it, but at the time I bought my bike (right before covid craziness hit) there was close to a 1000€ premium for electronic shifting. I'd worry that this is just going to make more bikes even more expensive. Haven't yet looked at how it impacts pricing on bikes, looking at the prices Shimano list doesn't really tell a lot.

I wonder when we will see 105 Di2

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

There was some speculation before the release that “getting disc brakes right” was going to be Shimano’s big focus but it’s hard to see that 10% extra clearance on 1 or 2mm is going to make any real world difference. Disappointed by this as I find keeping disc set-up running without any rub a constant battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

The prices are absolutely nuts. 3700 GBP for DA and 2400 GBP for Ultegra. And God help you if you crash and damage the RD. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Well with the R8 and R9 series they've now abandoned mechanical shifting and see no future in it at the performance level. My guess is that we'll see R7100 this time next year with Di2.

They also clearly feel rim break has no future as the calipers for the new R9/8 series are as they were in the previous so I'd even reckon this will be the last rim brake option at the top level.

The 10t option from what I understand from friends still in the industry is that it's overly complex for what it gives you for a road option. To use a 10t ring requires a modified cassette and spacings. The time and effort is not worth it for road bikes where the trend at the pro level is for larger front chainrings. Many riders are now using 54 (hence the ditch of 53/39) and 56t on the front which gets rid of the need for a 10t at the rear.

whoah. i paid i think €700 for 'traditional' 6800 3 years ago; this was a couple of months after R8000 had been released, so prices had come down a bit, but by about €100 i think. and that was in a B&M shop, not an online discounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Well the prices we are getting at the moment are the top prices (singular order) per component as shimano haven't released any set pricings. This is always the case with every new release, people get shocked by the price then it shows up on bike24 for €700. By the time the complete groupset is available for purchase that price will be significantly lower. Now it's not going to be €700 as that would be mechanical and this is Di2 only but it will be a lot less that the prices quoted thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i paid that for a full ultegra di2 disc bike (previous year model admittedly ) at the start of 2020 ! mind the same bike is near 5k now 😲

crazy prices for stuff now

I paid 2200 for a brand new ultegra di2 disc bike this time last year. Doubt I’ll see anything like that ever again

• Advertisement

Some of the bikes with the new groupsets here, some of these are ugly as sin imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

If you want 9200 this year or early next year, the only way to get it, is a new bike. I saw the stock availability in my LBS today as he has already had inquiries and Shimano distributors are saying the 9200 mechs are not available until December, and cassettes and cranks not expected until August of next year the earliest!!! Also, I saw a memo from a main stream bike brand who are advising that Shimano manufacturing capacity is at 50% and Vietnam and Malaysia (where these parts are made) are in lock down again. No information whatsoever when Ultegra components will be available to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Shimano are claiming a full group set will be available in October 2021 and that sufficient stocks will be available.

Apparently they have been building stock for the release so it will be interesting if they hold that claim.

Edit: source is cycling news website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Yeah on new bikes they will be available according to the Shimano distributor. I have seen the inventory availability for components on the screen I was shown and cranks ordered today will be available next August!! The memo I saw said production is at 50% capacity over Covid. I guess we will see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm presuming its a H&S thing, its one thing being stuck in 53-11 but not being able to brake or having them stuck in the on position are not risks I would be happy taking.

i think the point was that the *shifting* on the rim brake version is still using wires; rather than the braking being wireless?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Wireless braking, ha ha ha. When they come out with that, it's time to hang up the cleats and take up base jumping or MMA or something...

combine those two and you've a new sport on your hands - a surefire way to make money is to control a sport.

• Advertisement

I think Shimano did actually have a patent lodged for some kind of wireless breaking system this year. I'd say it's just to have it before anyone else, no way that would ever see the light of day.

Advertisement