Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caterpillars on Brassicas and Cabbages.

Options
  • 31-08-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Where do they come from?They show up so quickly even though I pick /squash them off each day.

Do they take rambles between the plants and turn up at particular times of the day or do they (as I had always assumed) live their lives in the one plant they hatched from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They have turned my purple sprouting broccoli into lace curtains. Admittedly I put them in then totally ignored them as I had too much other stuff to do. It was shortly after planting them that I decided no more veg this year. Anyway I shall continue to ignore them and if they choose to rally and produce some flowers I shall be grateful - and surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The eggs are laid on the underside of the food plant and in 4 to 7 days the 🐛 caterpillars emerge to feed on the leaves. Most likely Cabbage Whites. They have two large broods a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The ones on my broccoli - and nasturtiums and numerous other places are Kilkenny cats - black and orange caterpillars of the Cinnabar moth, which apparently are in significant decline...they are rare everywhere else because they are all in my garden! Granted its usually Cabbage Whites though 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Same life cycle except over a longer time frame that includes the caterpillars hibernating

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Hadn't realized cinnibars were in trouble -

Odd when you see the proliferation of ragwort throughout the country --

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭amandstu

@Markcheese "Hadn't realized cinnibars were in trouble -

Odd when you see the proliferation of ragwort throughout the country --"

Didn't realize those were the moths(the Cinnibar moth)

Nothing like as conspicuous as the Cabbage Whites. Maybe I do have less this year

Have netted my Brussels now. Do these moths have favourite brassicas? My Savoys are fairly untouched and the Broccoli as popular as ever...

Advertisement