Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CNN dropped by Vodafone Ireland

Options
  • 31-08-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

So according to a text message from Vodafone , CNN is being removed from the line up as they will cease broadcasting in Ireland from midnight tonight.

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

I think they are pulling out of both Ireland and Afghanistan.

Its remaining on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

They are going online in the UK, being removed from Virgin. But they will remain on Sky. No message on Virgin Ireland.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nothing particular they have against Ireland (and if that is the spin Vodafone are putting on it they are being disingenuous).

No this is all about a move by CNN from being FTA to subscription and accordingly they want cable companies to pay them to be part of their packages, so they are being dropped by several cable operators who are not happy to do so.

They are going to launch a global direct to consumer package next year, and they want to get viewers for that. Unfortunately this all comes as CNN International seems to show more and more CNN US by the day.

Edit: interestingly, the Vodafone customer notification website is worded a bit differently.

Until it can be shown that CNN will no longer be available in any form in Ireland I’m renaming the thread to make it more accurate.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"CNN will no longer be available on Irish Tv" reference Vodafone Ireland - over to you Virgin Media Ireland and Eir for a response.

• Advertisement

I prefer their USA output

I'm not particularly interested in African voices and the like

Cnn in audio format,the sound of the TV channel is available on the tune in radio app for free by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Yes totally agree I prefer USA - won't actually watch the European presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭beachhead

Won't miss them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

They are still on Sky. I hope that doesn't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

100% agree collectively, just awful. I've never quite understood why CNN continues with International aspect which is essentially CNNUK ,can't abide Becky "Opinionated "Anderson, Richard Quest, Hala "grumpy 'Gorani , the Adverts which seem entirely made up of African mobile phone companies and Banks are just Bizzare 🙄

I almost hope for breaking news when CNN go to the US version.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

CNN is back on Vodafone tonight 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

CNN left Vodafone between 2am and 9am on the 31/08/2021

Vodafone sent SMS to customers 16:38 on 31/08/2021 saying the service would cease (it was already gone) effective 31/08/2021

CNN was back on CH 205 on Vodafone by 18:00 01/09/2021 and has remained on every since

Cust Care said on the evening of 01/09/2021 that it would be be gone by end of day. Still on 5+ days later

CNN remain FTA on digital satellite.

my analysis of the Vodafone flip flop off/on is a strategy to let the air out of the tires slowly. Warner informed them months back and Warner and CNN had an agreement to remove CNN from the VF listings. But Vodafone never informed their customers, until it was already gone. Backlash. The first customers knew was the channel was gone then an SMS then the channel comes back but its not supposed to be there. Very backwards communicating.

CNN is going PPV online - Ireland is not in that plan it would seem but this can change. CNN content is shifting from rolling news to rolling news + special programming, like recent NYC concert and special films broadcast worldwide. A price point of $20 a year was mentioned which seems small compared to other offerings. But I suppose it is just one channel.

At time of posting CNN is still on VF TV ch 205 and on VF App.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

CNN also on Samsung TV plus,,for those with a Samsung smart tele and the Internet feed. Ch 4008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Gone from Virgin now. A big screen with.....

"Unfortunately CNN have taken the decision to remove their channel from Virgin TV. For more details go to www.virgnmedia.ie/CNN"

Even during the George Floyd Trump hullabaloo, riots and election shenanigans last year, they were close to un-watchable.

Every 5 minutes there was a 5 minute (non advert) break showing us how great their anchors and pundits were at their job, and how brilliantly African and Asian industry was doing. 🙄

Unwatchable with this crap every 5 minutes.

If you have a smart TV hooked up to the internet, you can pick CNN, NBC News, ABC News and FOX News live feeds on YouTube anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Have CNN setup an online subscription platform that is accessible in Ireland now that they are removing their channel from platforms? I have no interest in subscribing but I am only interested to see how much they are charging.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No, no yet. CNN+ is apparently in the pipeline , though the Warner Bros-Discovery merger might change plans in that regard.

I understand the CNN Live service currently available in the U.K. (which is just the CNN International stream) is £1.99 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Juran

Since we signed up with UPC/Virgin, we have lost so many channels. I dont mind if they replace them with something similar, but they are replacing nothing. I used to get a thumb cramp moving up through all the channels, it took so long. Now, it takes me 20 seconds to get through all the Virgin channels.

I know, this rant should be on the Virgin forum

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I didn't have to think too hard about cancelling their TV service a few months ago. It's woeful.

Advertisement