Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Set up for action sports shots

• 30-08-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a set up to take action sports shots at my kids games, club games and various sports events that i'm involved in.

Budget of about 1k ish.

I don't mind if its bridge, dslr etc. I won't be using it for anything really only the sports so that's where my focus is in regards to purchasing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭b318isp

If you want good shots, the lens is where you need to focus, along with something with a reasonably fast shutter speed and good ISO performance.

I'd be looking second too. For €1k, you should be able to pick up a Canon 80D (around €500-700) and a Canon 70-200Lf4 (around €400-500).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

That's actually what i was looking at to be honest. I know the 75 to 300 lens is there but that one will give sharper shots ?

Canon 80D vs 7D Mark II ?

The 70-200 would be sharper, but obviously less reach.

There's not a huge difference between the 80D and 7D, I'd get whichever is cheaper, and put remaining money into the lens.

While it's a stretch, any spare money could go towards the Canon 100-400L, 70-200L2.8 or Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary lenses.

A lot will come down to technique too. Action close to you moves very quickly, and action at a distance needs a long lens and probable cropping. A monopod might be a good investment. The direction of light will be a big factor too.

Post edited by b318isp on

Oh i'll defo buy a monopod. Thanks for all your help.

• Advertisement

Would an 18 to 135 be an option to start off with ?

I've had the USM version of this, which I sold last year. The quality at the longer end was not impressive, and 135mm is a bit short.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I'm in a similar boat and am a very inexperienced photographer. I use 80d with 70-300 and 300L prime lens. Both with Image Stabilisation. Photograph mainly kids GAA, hockey, Rugby and cricket.

70-300 for the field sports and cricket fielding. Bought the 300L as the kid pitches were getting bigger and bigger and needed the extra reach. Best move I made, absolutely love it, can't help but take good pictures with it.

Another hint, although I am sure you know, always ask permission from both sets of coaches. Some sports you don't strictly have to but to avoid hassle I always ask. I have had two opposition coaches give off to me and made me delete all the pictures. On both occasions their teams were losing badly 😀. On the other hand I have made loads of good friends with opposition coaches through providing them with pictures of their team that they were delighted to receive. Every parent loves a picture of their kid looking awesome on a sports field to share on facebook or a family Whatsapp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

rather than start a new thread, what lens would be recommended for video footage of club hurling matches - footage is used for analysis by the coaches.

canon 750d is my camera.

I've used a 17-40 lens and that's too wide.

I also used my 55-250mm kit lens, i think it's probably good enough but just wondering is there something more appropriate (particularly if there's a dual purpose one that i could use for photographs for other matches - which is where my interest lies rather than video - 250mm isn't long enough reach)

budget is upto €500ish i think

You're probably looking at the Canon 70-300mm IS ii/iii usm lens then - but the extra reach isn't huge. A 1.4 or 2x teleconvertor may help, but you do loose light - and I've no idea how they are with video.

It may be worth picking up the x1.4 for a trial, can moving it on if it doesn't work out. Here's two I found on Adverts:

https://www.adverts.ie/lenses/canon-ef-2x-iii-2x-ii-1-4x-ii-extender-sigma-kenko-tele-converter-2x-ex-dg/13506127

• Advertisement
Advertisement