Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will - how to find the solicitor

Options
  • 30-08-2021 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I am not hopeful about this but thought I would pose the question just in case. A very close friend of mine recently died. He had advised a relative a few days before he died (he was having some serious health problems) that he had recently changed his Will and that I, and another friend, had been appointed Executors. Unfortunately we do not know who his solicitor is. My friend's next of kin is his brother from whom he was estranged and with whom there have been ongoing legal proceedings due to the brother having stolen funds from their deceased parent's estate among other things. Unfortunately the brother is the only person with access to my friend's house so any papers relating to the matter, copies of the Will etc, if found, will undoubtedly be destroyed if he comes across them.

I have checked www.thewillregister.ie with no luck.

Is there anything else I can do to try and find the Will / Solicitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 arubamuuu

If you're in a rural area, it is worth just calling as many local solicitor offices in the area that you can. I used to work in a very small firm and every couple of months we would get calls from people asking to see if we had a will for someone as they knew the deceased had a will but can't find it. Also, if you're in a rural area, maybe a local newspaper might be willing to run an ad to see? Worth a shot. Probably won't be as effective or feasible if you're living somewhere like Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Might his bank have a copy of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Check with the Bar Association of the county or city you are in and they will send out an email asking solicitors if they have a will for the deceased person in their archives. Or engage your own solicitor and they will do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DocR

@arubamuuu Not rural unfortunately, south county Dublin. I have phoned a number of solicitors firms in the area but with no luck so far. I will continue to do this and hope something comes up.

@endofrainbow That had not occurred to me. I didn't realise banks could hold copies of Wills but I will ask a relative (not the brother) who I know is aware of at least one account if he can check with the bank.

@angeleyes That is a great idea, thank you so much.

Many thanks for all your responses, I really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Best of luck with your quest @DocR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

If you engage a solicitor to work on your behalf, they could place an advert in the Law Society Gazette asking other solicitors if they hold a copy of the deceased's will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

That's probably the best way to go. The Gazette publishes a list every month.

I don't know if banks have documents for safekeeping for people that much anymore. It used to be a thing but not so much now with cutting back of services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

You don't need a solicitor to place such an ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Did the person who dies have a phone? Get the phone and find the call history. It may show up the phone number of the solicitor he instructed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

How does the estranged brother have access to the house? Like above, a recent phone bill or bank statement might give a clue as to who was hired as solicitor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement