Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the towpath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Tow path?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

Yeah, the horse would go along the towpath, towing the barge along the canal. Later, the barges got engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭3d4life

For example :)

edit : that YT clip linked on to a lovely 1993 Dick Warner series starting with

Its a shame that so many of you have not known what it was to live in the era

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Serves him right for cycling on the path. Towpaths are for tows not cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do they use camels to tow barges in egypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

"and how did they get through tunnels in the days of horses?" "well, I'm glad you asked me that. they... legged it" (someone can probably upload a vid)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I actually tried legging a barge through a tunnel a few years back on a visit to the Black Country Musuem in the West Midlands, fascinating insight into 17th, 18th centuary life in the industrial Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I presume they fell into the lock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There's no lock near there, most likely around the Deep Sinking, it's a pretty rough section with a deep drop down into the canal, and a site of a number of deaths from a barge accident a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Friend of mine nearly went in a few years back at the deep sinking. There was a tree partially down, and he tried to cycle under, rather than get off the bike.

He fell, but luckily didn't go all the way down the embankment.

Advertisement