Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

100 Volts out of the wall?

Options
  • 28-08-2021 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Evening all,

Apologies if this is a stupid question (I know next to nothing about that electricity)

I have a Japanese TV and a couple of Japanese laptops/other gadgets and I’m not mad about using my step down converters as they heat up pretty quickly.

My wife and I are building a new house at the moment and I was wondering is it possible to bypass the need for a step down converter - for example, would it be possible to get the electrician to build a converter into the wall, or maybe have a separate dedicated 100V circuit in one room of the house?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Some of the devices, especially the laptops, might be universal voltage and may not need a stepdown converter. Check the labels to see. Someone else will probably confirm but I suspect that electrical regulations wouldn’t allow 100V outlets here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheRealOC

Sorry forgot to mention they’re all older retro devices so none of them are universal voltage.

Dream solution would be a separate 100V circuit with a few Type A/B outlets in one side of the room (Japanese power strip/extension lead could then be plugged in direct).

Is this a pipe dream? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheRealOC

Like for example, would it be possible to stick a step-down transformer beside the main fuse board and use that to run a dedicated 100V circuit? (Then just install Type A plug sockets in the spots where they’re needed)

Advertisement