Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How big a deal is it introducing new partner to child?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can I ask the OP if it's OK to piggyback on his thread and to ask the parents here a question also......

How big a deal is it introducing a child to a new partner?

My gf and her ex husband broke up when their baby was 1. He is 5 now. I always knew her as a friend, not in same circle or anything like that but we did cross paths quite a bit and were always friendly and got on well. I asked her out for a walk about a year ago and slowly we got together and meet most weekends. Shes mental in work plus studying too so midweek is out at the moment.

However, we can only do something when her ex takes their son, which isn't often he isn't too bothered. Her parents do the odd time too if asked but she doesn't like burdening them and they live a bit of a trip away.

I have suggested that when we are just going for a walk or a coffee or some daytime activity that we could bring him, it would allow us to meet more and I'd love to meet the little man too. I know all about him but not met yet. Bit frustrating but I think I understand her position....although it sometimes annoys me I've never said as such. At the moment she is sitting in her house and I am in mine 10 mins drive away. Would this be normal mother protecting her son behaviour? I've no kids myself so have to take that into account when dealing with my emotions about it! Her son comes first, I know that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think you should start your own thread as this will get buried and responses will get confusing.

Anyways, it's really hard to give advice on what a third person is thinking and the reasoning behind it.

Looking at things objectively it is only a year and she does have to put her son's feelings first. His dad seems to have already walked out on him and she is probably wary of that happening again.

I doubt when she got married she thought the marriage would break up, or when she got pregnant they would split a year later, so she's probably in the "once bitten twice shy" category of thinking. She is also probably grieving the end of the marriage, maybe not the marriage itself but the hopes and dreams of the future that went with it.

She may not be as "into" the relationship as you are either (as she does have a fair bit of emotional damage from the end of a marriage) that's not to say the relationship is doomed just that she might be alot more guarded than you are. She also has herself and her son to think about.

I think you need to sit down and have an honest chat about it, she where her head is at. It's a massive step (or at least it should be) introducing new partners to your children, she may not be there, or she may view your relationship as a casual distraction, she may not even realise that herself.

Again very hard to give advice on a third person.

Best of luck 🙂

@Buddy Bubs "How big a deal is it introducing a child to a new partner?"

Its differs, some people are more casual about it, but for others, its a huge deal.

This lady seems like she leans more towards the "its a huge deal" side. At 5, Her child is still young and they have probably been through some other big changes in their young life over the last 2 years (covid, maybe starting school or starting soon?) so I think you are just going to have to leave it up to her to be the best judge of when (or if) she wants you and her child to meet.

• Administrators Posts: 14,385 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Reply from OP @Buddy Bubs

Thanks Loueze and Princess Calla, nice balanced viewpoints which I'm trying to hold myself. Yes, there has been plenty of upheaval and with all she has on at the moment working full time, running a home and a family and doing her studies, she struggles sometimes. But I guess mothers are very strong. I'm willing to contribute more if I am allowed but at the moment I guess I just have to respect her own judgment. Making sure I'm right for her and her son is probably part of it too, which is fair.

Reply from @Princess Calla

You can still ask though, or even ask where she sees the relationship going. You don't have to be 100% passive either. Just to make sure the two of you are on the same page as to where you would like the relationship to go.

• Advertisement

Buddy Bubs, I have moved your query and replies to your own thread.

I had to manually copy/paste the latest replies into this thread. I didn't move them at the same time as the first posts, and I don't seem to have the functionality to merge posts into a thread, just to create a new thread.

Sorry for any confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Of you are going out a year and she's still not receptive to you meeting. Alarm bells for me. She either sees no real future for you pair or something else is a miss like holding out for the ex.

A year is a ridiculous amount of time frankly to introduce you two.

I don't necessarily agree with this.

A year during a pandemic where nothing is normal really is no time at all.

There are so many unknowns in this situation..... why marriage broke up, what's the child like....do they respond well to change, are they emotionally sensitive etc. Are there other changes like starting school changing Montessori anything else that might cause upheaval in a child's life.

In my opinion I often think kids are introduced way too early in the relationship, bonds are formed and then the relationship ends leaving another void in the child's life.

I definitely think the situation warrants a conversation, however without knowing the absolute full situation (which I'm not suggesting the OP divulges) making blanket statements isn't overly helpful.

Huh ? Partner hasn't been there since child was 1 . The child is 5 now.

There's something really suss about the timelines on this pandemic or not. The country has been very open especially outdoors this year alone.

I'd be questioning the future of this one .

This thread stemmed from another thread where the poster was with his partner 2 years and still hadn't introduced them to his child. The poster planned a future with his current partner.

Every relationship is different. This timeframe would obviously be a deal breaker for you, which is fine, to others they might view it as a parent protecting their child.

But again I do think the op needs to discuss the relationship with the girlfriend to ensure that they are on the same page about where the relationship is heading.

As for introducing partners to your children that's absolutely up to the parent, there is no one size fits all in this.

• Advertisement

This thread is about this poster though not the other one. So what has that other threads marriage go to to with this one ..

Tbh. If you haven't introduced a new partner in an entire year at least once to your child then it's not serious , or their is serious problems. Il stand by my opinion on that. A year is a long time tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's a massive deal. Introducing a partner to your child has a few threads imo. You are seeing this woman a year, there's been a pandemic and all the confusion and worry that comes with that.

I think it's important aswell to ask yourself how often ye see each other? Is it regular "in-person"? Or is it grabbed time when convenient with most of the chat via messages and so on?

What's the dynamic when ye meet up? Is it attraction, sexual energy and craic? Or is it that, with the added undercurrent of love, respect and hope for a future together?

I was a single dad for nearly 5yrs and had some hook ups in that time. Relationships would be too strong a word, and whilst I enjoyed their company and I hope they did mine.

None of those were relationships that led to me wanting to develop them or introduce those ladies to my son or my family. But they were fun 😉

Introducing my son to a potential partner is something I've done as a single dad and done once. I had introduced her to some family members 1st and it was a slow careful process.

I say once because the woman I introduced my son to, became my wife and his step-mam. It wasn't an easy journey and at all times along the way my son was forefront in my thinking but truth be told he was probably far more ready to meet my then GF, than I was to remove what was a definitive separation in my life.

I was "Dad" 6days a week, with my son staying in my MiL's 1 night a week and that was when I spent time with my GF as in going out and such. I had known her for quite a long time before we got together, and it was a relationship we built slowly but once I knew it was serious after about 6 months together. I knew it was time for her and my son to meet, because without at least some click there. I would have been leading her on.

They took things slowly, started with an introduction and a day out, then some time around each others homes and as their relationship developed, so did ours as a couple and as a family.

Look it's a very fraught situation and it's one that really needs the primary parent and the child to have a degree of trust in each other. Where a person is parenting alone, either via separation or bereavement the last thing they want their child to experience is further loss.

Introducing a potential partner, having them develop a bond and then having to explain why that person isn't around anymore if the relationship breaks down?

That's a real fear and a frightening prospect. It takes an enormous degree of trust in a potential partner and the future of the relationship to push through that fear and risk exposing parent and child to that pain.

Anyway, all I can say is talk to her. It may be you are further along the path to this being a solid relationship than she is. Ask, talk it out and be honest.

The point I was making was in the previous thread the poster was with his girlfriend for 2 years and still hadn't introduced his son to her. He was committed and saw a future together.

This relationship is only a year old.

To be honest I can she where his girlfriend is coming from, no one gets married expecting to be a single mum in a couple of years. So I can definitely see why she'd be cautious embarking on a new relationship and extra cautious introducing her child.

My friend is divorced with 3 kids. She waited over a year to introduce him to the kids. Did everything 'right' , he moved in after another year.

everything going well.......until he up and left one day, no warnings, nothing. Kids devastated.

I can't see her introducing those kids to anyone again!

everyone and every circumstance is different OP, don't push it, allow your girlfriend to decide.

nothing wrong with having a discussion about the future though!

Just to update...I never had the discussion but was asked if I'd like to go for a walk out in howth and some food at the weekend with herself and the young lad and I did, lovely day out I got on well with him and had a bit of craic. So first meeting down, obviously it was outside the house etc but a nice step forward. Didn't try to be daddy or anything but I did buy us all a nice fish n chips and ice cream. Felt good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the update. Also, really happy it went well for ye. It's a slow process but worth it if you want to be with her and him 😉

Advertisement