If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Neighbour’s (??) drain potential problem?

  • 28-08-2021 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

    We bought a house last year. There is a wide side passage and towards the back of it there are two small drain covers (maybe 6 inches square). We assumed these serviced our house because there was no mention of public/neighbour’s drains when we bought the house. In fact a document called ’Requisitions on Title’ that we were given at the time of sale said there were no easement rights related to drainage. Our surveyor didn’t pick up on them either.

    After we moved in, the drains were a bit slow so we had them cleared and the drain guy said these two drains didn’t seem to be connected to our drains. My best guess is that they service two houses behind ours that are part of a small estate that I would guess was built in the 1990s (our house is 1970s). I got chatting to a passerby recently who said he lives in one of these houses and their water supply had been affected by Irish Water works in our estate at the time. There is no planning permission for these houses online so I can’t confirm their water supply and drains pass through our garden. Should I be concerned about this? Why wouldn’t these drains connect to in to the road of the new estate instead of through our garden? It seems odd.

    We plan to extend our house into the side passage and to the rear. Presumably we will need to relocate these drain covers and the drains underneath. Is that expensive?


  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mike_2009

    you can request a copy of the estate drain and water supply plans to see what turns up. If they don't detail them at all, you could try getting the plans for various houses and see how draining was addressed, but the older they are that harder it may get to find them from the council, online or otherwise. I don't know what options you may have for relocating as they need to be serviceable, might be one for an architect/civil engineer?

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

    It depends on depths, sizes and types of drains - foul or surface water. The general approach would be to provide an inspection chamber - Manhole or AJ - each side of your extension, protect the drains during construction and 'bridge' the foundations and or rising walls over the drains so that no exrra weight is transferred on to them.

    Thats just the general approach.