Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grief counselling for loss of dog?

• 27-08-2021 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

My dog died three months ago. I've been devastated by her loss. My husband thinks I should try counselling but I wonder if I'd be taken seriously. I've had some hurtful comments from friends and family, people who knew how close we where but have belittled my grief. If anyone here has had grief counselling should I look for a certain type of counselor? Did you find it helpful? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Grief is grief. Any good counsellor will be able to recognize that and help you through it, they don't have to have experienced the same themselves in order to understand and help you work through it. I'm sorry you have had friends and family say hurtful things, that's shows a lack of empathy on their part and is no reflection on what you should be feeling.

Just remember, a dog intends to bring us joy for their entire lifetime, the last thing they would want is a legacy of grief and sadness, that's not what they bring when they come into our lives, don't let it be all what they leave behind.

I hope you find peace after losing your dog, it would be good to find someone professional to speak to, take care of yourself. x

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

I had bereavement counselling through the HSE after my dad died. I had to join a waiting list for over a year to get it though. This was quite some time ago but as far as I know the HSE’s counselling services are still in high demand and resources are really stretched. Where I am there are a few family resource centres that have a Councellor attached and it is a free service here. I think this is still happening by phone at the minute but that might change within the next few months. Ring around your local family resource centres to see do they have a Councellor they work with. I’d say that’s your best bet. There’s not much of a wait here for this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

i hope you are ok OP. The loss of a jet can be devastating. There are many options open to you and absolutely you should speak to someone.

The people belittling your grief are more to be pitied; clearly never knew the joy or love of a pet.

https://www.her.ie/life/goodbye-best-friend-deal-loss-family-pet-404927

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I’m sorry for your loss OP and I’m sorry that you’ve had hurtful comments. We all handle grief differently. I still randomly burst into tears a year and half after losing my girl.

I think if you feel like you need somebody to talk to - especially as you don’t seem to be getting the support and empathy you need then it’s a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

Thank you all for the kind comments, it means the world to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

HI the grief for the death of a pet is very real and should be treated like any grief however only ourselves realise this. There are dog owners and dog lovers and these two groups are poles apart. A dog lover really feels the loss whereas the dog owner is usually unmoved and more inconvienced by the death and the squaking kids so they quickly replace the dead dog. The animal lover needs time to heal and remember the pet. Think of all the good times and go for a walk where she loved to go and you will feel her spirit, in time another dog will find you and you will know your original dog sent her. God bless. RIP

Advertisement