If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Properties with one side of house as the boundary to a side entrance of a neighbouring property.

  • 25-08-2021 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ 1874

    Does anyone know what is allowable regarding a house, where the side of the house (ie the external surface of the house structure) is the wall for a neighbouring property's side entrance.

    Would you as the owner of that house have to ask permission of your neighbour to put up external insualtion?

    Could they attach anything to the side of your house, like a gate post? ie bolt/screw it to your house wall?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭ mad m

    So a shared side entrance? What's the width of it between you and neighbour? Taking into account the EWI will be 120mm-moving services if a stack is to side also so all in all it could be 200mm.

    They can't attach anything to your house without expressed permission from you. I've come across a couple of shared access where a house is a terraced house but the side access is used by both, One house would have their bedroom over the shared access if you get me. The other is a Semi D where both houses use the side access with wooden gates at end of house to each other garden. Usually the bins are brought out this way.

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭ Caranica

    Is it a case that your house was extended to the boundary but the other house has not been extended? If so, forget about external insulation on that wall.

  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,786 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Toots

    My parents house is like that - the neighbour's side wall of their house is the boundary wall of our side return. Neighbours wanted to put up external insulation and had to ask my parents because they (a) needed access to my parents property to do it and (b) would be encroaching on my parents property.

    My parents said no because the insulation would have made the side return so narrow that it would have made it impossible to get the wheelie bins up etc and down it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭ touts

    From your description I'd say the wall is the boundary line. External insulation would effectively be building on/over their land. But likewise they couldn't attach a gate to your property. I'd recommend you look at internal insulation or even pumping the walls is possible.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ 1874

    the house wall is the boundary as some posters have gleaned, the side entrance is not shared, its effectively owned by the neighbouring house owners but they are wide enough. I was thinking of seeing what the options are for insulation, maybe consider a mix of internal, cavity filling (dont think there is any guarantee how complete or successful those are) and possibly 50mm external insulation.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭ Supercell

    We have a setup like that and are considering external insulation. Its not a shared side entrance, they have exclusive use as do we on the other side of the building.Our understanding that the area under the soffit is ours and the neighbour is obligated to provide access if requested. It depends on how well you get on with your neighbours i suppose at the end of the day.

    Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network -

  • Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭ Caranica

    Why are you considering external, even 50mm when that's over the boundary line?

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ 1874

    really it would have to be calculated what the total insulation options would be if including internal and/or cavity insulation blown in.

    50mm because as mentioned by another poster, its already under the soffit but also because the gutter drain downpipe for adjacent properties drain that side and insulation of about 50mm would be no thicker or similar to the amount the gutter drain downpipe sits out from the wall. Obviously the neighbout would be asked.

    I would be concerned solely about doing cavity fill as I dont think you know how complete it is or internal or a combination as the dew point may be inside the cavity, whereas with ewi, there is a better chance it can be calculated easier and seen to be done completely.