Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

residency card revoked

Options
  • 24-08-2021 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Last year we spent more than 6 months outside Ireland and my Wife's residence card was revoked for breaking the rules. My wife is Thai and we both want to return to Thailand to live. Now 2 years ago we had problems going to spain because there were problems with my wife's residency card ie the card which is designed to get rid of unwanted imigrants was keeping my wife in the country.

I have asked this question of ireland immigration but they refuse to answer the question is

Will not having an irish residency card prevent my wife boarding her flight to Thailand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Given you can't fly direct to Thailand from Ireland you're going to encounter two sets of officials.

Has your wife been living here legally since the card was revoked? If she's been given a timeline to leave and you're departing in that window there shouldn't be an issue.

I'd be inclined to appeal the revocation too, in case you ever want to come back here to live. Covid led to very unusual circumstances and exceptions will have to be made to the very rigid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Ok you make reasonable points

We fly qatar so yes we will hit 2 sets of officials having said that it is the irish residence card which has been revoked so only ireland can cause problems

I believe they want us to appeal when we heard about residence card being revoked I suspect they wanted us to start begging to stay. Instead my attitude was we do not mind being thrown out as long as we can travel together and get reasonable notice. After receiving the letter saying I do not mind if we get thrown out the immigration said they want to give us an appeal hearing

The question i need answering is if me and my wife turn up for a flight to thailand in sept are the check in staff going to say your wife does not have a residence card therefore she is not allowed to board

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the check in staff only care if you meet the requirements for entry to your first stopover. This is because they get fined if they carry someone that is refused entry at the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not really, I flew to the UAE through Turkey and was asked at checkin did I have a visa for the UAE. But the airlines only care if you have a visa or are a citizen of the countries you are flying to not from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I assume your wife has a Thai passport so there shouldn't be any issue with her boarding a flight whose final destination is Thailand. For connecting flights there is only an issue if they are separate flights and you need to exit and re-enter the airport to get on the second flight. For flights were you are booked all the way to your final destination then that is the only thing they care about. You aren't entering the country you are doing the stopover in. As long as your wife has a passport either for Thailand or another country that allows her entry into Thailand there shouldn't be any issue boarding the flight in Ireland.

It might be worth checking if there is any issue if you want to come back for a holiday, would the revoked residency card cause any issue for your wife getting a tourist visa?

• Advertisement

You might be correct when we last had problems with the residency card we were refused boarding on a flight from ireland to spain now spain was in the eu travel system so non residence in ireland = non residence admission into spain but this system does not count fo qatar and thailand so said countries will not prevent her from flying

my wife is a thailand citizen and she will be flying to thailand

• Registered Users Posts: 8 getoutahere

She won't have any problems anywhere along the way. The is zero checks in Dublin, and unless its a strange transit route that requires a transit visa, you will have zero problems.

The Irish immigration system is horrible for spouses, I currently suffer at the hands of faceless civil servants who make life so hard for legitimate couples just trying to live their life together.

A Thai citizen would need a tourist visa to enter Spain/the Schengen area.

Edit: rereading, the problem two years ago wasn't leaving Ireland, it was not being let in Spain.

Countries aren't in the habit of stopping people leaving usually.

Check the rules for Qatar.

Advertisement