Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland - Bargain?

Options
  • 24-08-2021 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all,

I am currently with Bright Energy, electricity only plan. Their prices have gone through the roof of late. I am looking to switch suppliers. I am aware of bonkers.ie & all those websites.

Electric Ireland have an inserting offer, see below as follows:

Home Electric+ Weekender (Gift + €210 credit)

• Free electricity on Saturdays or Sundays
    • €210 online welcome bonus + Free Google Nest Hub worth €99.99
    • 5.5% direct debit and paperless billing discount on electricity unit rates
    • Advanced electricity insights
    • 12 month contract (€50 buy out clause)
    • Electricity unit price 22.65c per kWh
    • Smart meter

I think this is a pretty good offer in todays climate, what does anyone think?

Free electricity for 52 days of the year also, I know there is nothing free in life but it helps.

Any responses for people who are more familiar with this type of thing would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

We got this for electric and gas recently. Do a heap of washing and drying of clothes on Sunday's now which is our free day. In winter we plan on using electric heating on the sundays too. Seems to be working well for us so far.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭bren2001

It is not as good an offer as you would think. You should calculate how much electricity you use a year and determine if you can use that much extra on the weekend.

The Saver 30 reduces the unit price to 15.29c. This is a 7.36c difference. I use around 6700 (kWh) of electricity a year. On the Saver 30, this will cost me €1,025. On the Weekender, this costs €1,517 but you get one day free so this reduces by 1/7 so a fairer comparison is €1300.

The majority of your electricity usage is not going to change. Your fridge, dishwasher, tv, shower, kettle usage is not going to change. Realistically, the only thing that will change is your washing, drying, and possibly heating. A 5(kWh) dryer costs about €1.10 per hour to run. A washing machines electricity usage is negligible per cycle. You would need to run your dryer for ~270 hours over 52 Sundays to make up the savings compared to the Saver 30.

For my electricity usage, it would not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Energia’s best value Electricity bundle with €35 Cashback

Works out about 14c per unit daytime and 6.5 cent night after the 41% discoun.

Put your usage into bonkers.ie and see what it gives you - and stay away from the smart meters for the moment. You will end up paying more with them.

Advertisement