Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employment Law help, People hand picked Panel not followed ....

Options
  • 23-08-2021 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Just wondering where I might stand or what i need to do , long story short 4 or 5 people all in the same role applied for a job in my organisation (HSE) all have the same title job spec and do not supervise other members of staff. Two people were given interviews and the rest were not on the basis that they did not have experience within the organisation supervising staff (nobody did) , The two people who got interviews were placed on a panel 20th & 21st then suddenly are given the roles in our unit (hand picked) the panel clearly wasn't followed. (HR is notorious) . Where do I go , i want to know why we all do the same jobs have the same experience and nobody supervises other staff yet two were given interviews and subsequently the roles , I also want to know where the 19th people in front of them on the panel went is this possible, would I go to my Union ? Can anyone guide me please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

We’re you one of the 19?

If not, then I don’t see you having a right to any of the information you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

You’d wonder how they get anything done

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Often in these situations, you can find that you don't actually know as much about the other candidates as you think. You don't know what experiences they may have had before their current role or their current job - so maybe some of them did have supervisory experience elsewhere.

Your best option is probably to raise a complaint through your union. They may not be easy, and there's a good chance that the other people you're up against are also in the same union.

Or you can raise a grievance or complaint directly with HR yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In our place you mostly know who will get most jobs and promotions. The job description usually favors specific people. Occasionally you'll be surprised but not often. There also some positive discrimination going on.

But life's not fair. But it's impossible to prove, and any attempt to do would mark you out. I think it would end your progression in the organization.

To be honest these days you progress better changing companies than waiting for internal opportunities. Unless it's public sector or a large corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Another way of manipulating promotion is acting positions or covering for managers. If the same person is always used as back up cover for a higher position, that's a huge advantage when going for promotion. There's been some attempts to stop this practice in our place But it's relentless. Some people always choose their mates to cover for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Within the HSE it happens all the time. I just got passed over for a manager role I paneled for myself, they created another role and gave it to someone who didn't even interview at the same time as everyone else. Same job, same job title, same salary, they just created a role for him completely bypassing me.

Welcome to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭the14thwarrior

I panelled for a job, next to get a job, and a year later see the same job being advertised. When I queried it i was told sorry there was something wrong with the panel, we just realised it, should have told you. feel free to interview again. and originally three people ahead of me get a job at the time (only 4 people panelled). called the union said little you can do about it. If the advertisement / whatever HSE say is wrong, I'm sure they can prove it. I interviewed again and failed. No one took the job. Another round of advertisement..... i could go on but its boring.... but someone got the job who didn't panel........ temporary of course..... and a year later gets their position regularised. some did query another panel and it took them three years but they did win their case and eventually got a job off another panel. panels can last a year. panels can last three years. panels can last or be disbanded at whims decided by people with no thought for stupid people that go for interviews thinking it makes a difference.

I could tell stories about panels, its so corrupt. its rife in the HSE. jobs are created, panels are disbanded, temporary jobs created, people told what to say, how to interview, quick phone call, etc. wink wink, i'll scratch your back.

the two people that were given interviews could have lied on their form, or had some form of experience or something known only to those who wanted them for the job, or had previous experience from 10 years ago....thus able to justify their decisions..........

another trick is to offer people temporary position (off the panel) and so the 19 above them don't take the offer, except those that are 20 and 21 and "know that temp will become permanent".

you can talk to your union dime a dozen they'll say FOI and HR data protection etc.

however, raising a complaint i believe does help. but i probably would not bother.

you'll of course ruin any chances in your current office, however, i should think since you were not offered even an interview, it might be best to start looking in different departments.

Welcome to the HSE. its so corrupt.

Advertisement