Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung S8 replacement

Options
  • 23-08-2021 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

Hi Looking for recommendation for a S8 Replacement. My S8 is 4yrs old with Failing battery and broken charge sync port. Im left using wireless charger and memory card for transferring filkes off the phone. my wife says i used it all up.

My main desire are

-Cameras: must be as good or better that S8 which is excellent. General camera use kids, casrs. landscape. Not too bothered by night or ultrawide 6 lens gimmilks. s8 was good enough to retire my big camera for 99% of situations. Not too bothered by video use.

-UI Samsung was pretty drab, I had a oneplus(one) before and liked more.

-Battery: S8 was ok to sart wiht by detieriated fast

-Processor i do a lot of multitasking, so needs to keep up. Camera, multi apps, casting, Bluetooth, banking sat nav, hotspotting etc etc

-I dont use for gaming

-Good screen, stero speakers & YouTube viewing + 3.5mm jack

-I can live without face&finger print, i use screen lock by default

-dont need 5G

Budget 500ish, not interested in stretching for a 1000E flagship phone (e.g. S20/21) or seconds

I like my wifes new pixel 4A but it a bit small, camera is ace tho, Id like more like a note sized phone. I like a oneplus range (warp charging) but are there cameras still not great ? A couple of colleagues with 7+s & Nords are saying there a bit poor. I don't know anything about other Chinese models e.g. MI1 & pooco etc ?? pixle 5 caught my attention but is above budget $$$

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nord 2?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

I had the same charging problem with my S8. Got it fixed for €30 at one of those phone repair shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

cool thanks, my battery is pretty battered anyways, i think i have narrowed my replacement search down to a S20 FE 5 G phone which is a bout 500euro, snapdragon chip, 6GB RAM, 128G storage, SD slow, 45000mAh battery etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

If I were you, just hold on approx. 2 wks.

See what pricing the Pixel 6 and Pro comes out at. While it may not be at your budget, it may change the price of the Pixel 5 which you mentioned you liked the look of.

Thanks, Ya i like the pixel 5 but it has been showing out of stock on google for the last few weeks so no scope there. Reseller have a decent marke up on the google prices (620e). The S20 FE look about right for specs and is prob a the bottom of its price curb after 10-12 months. i originally bought the s8 as a 1.5 model old model for like 380 euros new. i really like the one plus range but cant get over there camera reviews are not good enough.

Im not tied by budget but I dont think a phone for 1000 euro makes any sense !!

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see what the pixel 6 is like and how it's priced.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

it can only go up looking at the price trends of every other mobile device brand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

plenty on adverts, I was in the big smoke over the weekend and went to a shop that was advertising one but they didn't actually have any in stock. He offered me the 4g (edit) one but i declined and told him i wanted the snapdragon chip over the samsung 4G one. He laughed and agreed and said the the average joe round here dont know the difference and just wants a new shiny phone @!!

Post edited by Notch000 on

Hold off on the FE for a few weeks as the new one is out next month.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

got the S20 FE in the end really happy with it

Advertisement