Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions on getting hearing aids

Options
  • 20-08-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

I've just been for a hearing assessment out in a place in Sandyford and my high freq hearing has dropped quite a lot (20db) in the last 2y (had a test previously with Specsavers) and they've recommended a hearing aid (Phonak Paradise) as well as a referral to an ENT (just as a precaution).

The hearing aids are quite costly (€4800), and while I know I can get €1000 back on it from the Dept of SP, I am wondering can I also claim tax back for the balance on the MED1 form?

Also, can I use the results to contact other audiologists for a cost comparison or do they expect you to do the hearing assessment again before giving you a cost?

As for after care, they said 5 visits were included for tuning etc, then €50 for adjustments after that. Is that typical?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tmh106

Regarding tax question, yes, you can claim tax relief on the balance. Here is the relevant section from the Revenue website: https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/what-are-qualifying-expenses.aspx. Btw, MED1 form is gone quite a few years now, you now just claim it back through you normal tax return form - details also on the Revenue site.

I expect you can use the results to contact other audiologists, but I'd also expect that any other audiologists will want do their own tests so they are certain they are prescribing the right hearing aids for you. I think it is well worth visiting a few, not just for cost comparison, but also to fine someone you are comfortable to deal with.

There are a wide range of hearing aids - sounds like you are being prescribed something close to top of the range. Given their purpose, if I could afford it I wouldn't skimp on cost with hearing aids, I'd buy the best quality I could afford. Having said that, at the top of the range you are probably paying for a lot of bells and whistles that you may not need so it worth checking if there are cheaper models available that deliver the same basic hearing quality without all the bells and whistles. The aid's manufacturer's websites would I'd imagine have details of the different models they sell and the differences between them.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tmh106

No idea why my reply got posted twice and I can't see a way to delete the extra one. Not a happy camper with the new boards experience

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I have Phonak system, Audeo P50 - R (so says the app anyway!). Transformed my life, the quality is excellent.

Hearing assessment cost E100. Aids cost E3,500, with one year free follow up and no restrictions on the number of visits for this.

I have meningitis related hearing loss and these are the best things I ever spent money on so far!

Look up Audiology in Hermitage Clinic, you will see the name of the company. Great attention to detail and no quibble follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Great, thank you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement