Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Woe

Options
  • 19-08-2021 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some advice regarding a boiler replacement. The setup was about 10 years old, and the Easyplumb immersion failed, and since it was too difficult to remove, the cylinder was replaced with an almost identical 42x18 copy. However, the heating shop gave me an Elemex 27" immersion as they were out of the same type Easyplumb.

My issue...the original immersion had just three wires, live, neutral and earth, and a single on/off switch.

The Elemex has four wires...and there does not appear to be any instruction that I can find on the manufacturers website. I am presuming that this element is to heat the upper and lower sections of the cylinder? A fast "sink" element for small quantities of water, and both sections of the element switched on for "bath" to heat up the entire cylinder?

Attached is a photo of the switch - can anyone please guide me on how to wire this up?

Many thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fast Herman

Here is the original setup:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This has nothing to do with "boiler replacement". This immersion element replacement.

The original element has one element so it has the following wires:

1) Live

2) Neutral

3) Earth

The replacement has two elements, so it has the following wires:

1) Live for sink element (generally rated at 2 kW)

2) Live for bath element (generally rated at 3 kW)

3) Neutral which can be used for whichever element is in circuit.

4) Earth

The immersion switch that you have appears to be suitable for the replacement immersion.

Overview: The on / off switch is double pole. It switches both the phase and neutral from the supply. The sink / bath switch common is fed from the phase output from the load side of the on / off switch. The outputs (load side) of the sink / bath switch will feed the respective elements. All of the earths conenct together. The neutral for both elements is common.

My apologies, I am not in the industry, and referred to "cylinder" as the boiler.

Thank you also for the guidelines on the connections. Would it be possible to have a line diagram on this for guidance?

Here is what I received with the switch - basically need to translate that from my live / neutral / earth connection to the new switch and 4 wire immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭John.G

From your existing supply cable, Brown wire to L on on/off switch supply side , blue to N on on/off switch supply side.

Link L from on/off switch load side to comm on Sink/Bath switch.

From your immersion cable: Brown wire to L1 on Sink/Bath switch, Black wire to L2 on the Sink/bath switch, Blue wire to N on the load side of the on/off switch. (as stated above there is only one neutral wire coming back from the immersion as both neutrals are commoned at the immersion).

The earths are connected together at the earthing terminal on the on/off switch.

Many thanks John - very much appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement