Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Channel pictures too wide for screen / aspect ratio problem

• 19-08-2021 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭

So I have a wide-screen TV with built-in saorview DTT and I am finding a lot of the channels bar RTE1 and RTE2 too wide on my screen. The channel ident logo top right falls off the screen and any other wording on that side including the column for the rte new now channel and writing in that column, it's mildly irritating as I don't know if there is any more I can do as I have pressed the aspect ratio button on the remote and there are no other settings on the TV. If RTE1 and RTE2 fit on my screen perfectly without being cut off at the edges why aren't the other channels doing so?

Pressing the aspect ratio button on the remote control just puts the screen to 4:3 but still cuts off the edges on what I am watching or zoom just cuts off the edges even more. Is it the broadcasters at fault, not broadcasting in the right aspect ratio format for all televisions to display properly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I dont know if this has any bearing or not, I have just pressed info on the channels and have observed that all the channels that are stretched too much on the screen are 576I SD resolution and the 2 ones , rte1 and rte 2 are in 1080i HD so it looks as though unless I am mistaken that the 1080I HD fit perfectly on the screen , brings me to the other question why is saorview not broadcasting all channels on the platform at 1080i HD? Even if the content is not all filmed in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think this is a side effect of the 544x576 resolution used on the SD channels. Some TVs have difficulty scaling it properly.

There's one main reason why the other channels are in SD on Saorview - money. TV3/Virgin Media got the charging structure changed so they could pay as little as possible for carriage. if I recall correctly, they didn't want to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

What make is the TV? If you go deeper into your picture settings, you may find other options such as “Full”, “16:9”, “Custom”. That might help.

Advertisement