Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food & Dairy Perishables Since Covid/Brexit

Options
  • 18-08-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Over the last year and a half, can't help but notice a massive deterioration in the lifetime of food perishables, particularly dairy. I buy a week's worth of shopping for the family, but have now had to start buying milk daily/every 2 days as I find milk doesn't last the week (even though it would be in date and unopened). I also find it's the same with a lot of vegetables, and even jars of pizza sauce. What I'm trying to figure out is if this is due to supply chain/production issues related to Covid, or if it's something to do with changes arising from Brexit. Anyone else noticed this, and more importantly, know why it's happening?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dairy products are nearly entirely produced domestically.

Have you checked your fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

I was going to type something to the effect that it wasn't my fridge, but thought it would be self evident. Yep, I've checked and it's definitely not the fridge. I've also discussed with one or two other friends and they've experienced similar issues.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Jars of pizza sauce, which would be aseptic and stored at room temperature until opened, going off quicker is not likely to be down to anything else, though.

I've noticed absolutely no change - milk/dairy products are made here, fruit/veg is generally domestic or came in direct not via the UK.

Unless you solely shop in M&S or Iceland?

nope, Aldi and Tesco. Part of the thing here has to be your shopping & usage profile would need to be the same as mine e.g. buying milk to sit in the fridge and open 6/7 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭3d4life

"Part of the thing here has to be your shopping & usage profile would need to be the same as mine e.g. buying milk to sit in the fridge and open 6/7 days later."

Havnt noticed what you were asking about...would frequently have a 3l Tesco own brand milk which does us for 8 - 9 days. Also finding RFQS yogurt & milk good for several days after stated BB date.

If not your fridge, might you be leaving food in ( summer hot ) car .

Cant imagine why sealed jars of wet sauces would be going over prematurely

FWIW Iceland sell 1l bricks of UHT milk from Killeshandra Coop ( full/semi/skim fat versions usually available )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just opened a litre of Tesco milk last night (the 17th) and the milk was dated the 13th. It was grand. I haven't noticed it previously either, and I'm always forgetting to use things when I'm supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've noticed it with milk too, own brand and Avonmore. Even before it smells it leaves sludge behind in the bottom of the cup after tea or coffee.

Everything in the fridge is cold and lasting, so not my fridge. I used to buy milk for the week too, but now buying it several times a weeks and pouring a lot of it down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭gipi

It could be due to shop deliveries being left out in the heat before being brought into the stores to be refrigerated again? I've noticed milk going off faster in the past few weeks, during our recent spell of warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,893 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd go along with this for a theory.

I've noticed milk going off before the use-by date more often than not lately, the own-brand stuff is worse for it than the branded ones.

Why a jar of sauce would go off, I have no idea - they have a shelf-life of years until they're opened! And I've left a jar of pizza sauce in the fridge for waaaaay longer than recommended and not died of it (not recommending that as a course of action, btw).

I can kind of buy the deliveries being left out theory, except that the milk going off happens in all weather conditions. I have noticed the delivery issue happen too e.g. milk cartons on shelves being wet from being outdoors. However, don't understand why it would just become a thing in the last year or two, unless stores have been cutting back on warehouse staff for Covid (or maybe changes in the supply chain mean deliveries are arriving at hours when staff aren't there).

As regards pizza sauces, I can say that definitively I only get about 4 days from a jar of opened pizza sauce, almost without fail and irrespective of brand. After that, blue mould starts to grow on it. It's a pain in the arse as I don't want to eat pizzas twice in a 3/4 window.

• Advertisement
Advertisement