Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Selling a car for parts/spares

• 18-08-2021 8:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9 Furrynorman

So, my car decided to commit Hari Kari on the M1 on Saturday. Engine seized and unsalvageable. Fixing it would be more than the car is worth.

What's the best way of selling what's left, and also, is there anywhere that would do storage as it is currently sitting in a garage and I don't imagine they will want it cluttering up the place while I work out what I'm going to do. Where I live only has underground parking and there's no way I'd get it in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50,139 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26

Unless you have access to a yard or shed for free where you can store the remaining shell to break for parts and sell them individually then I'd say the easiest way is to just let a scrap dealer take it away. You will only get about €80 to €100 for it but your not going to make much from it if you have to pay a landlord a storage fee to keep it there. Also they may not be appreciative of the inevitable nomads turning up expecting to buy parts for next to nothing and having a good snoop around the place at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Furrynorman

I wouldn't even attempt to break it up myself, I'd just sell it as one piece.

That's what I thought, just trying to maximise what I might get from it so its not a total loss

• Registered Users Posts: 73,832 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn

Make sure you either transfer ownership or sell it to a fully licenced dismantler.

Advertisement