Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night potty trained too soon?

Options
  • 17-08-2021 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all. A little background, my little girl potty trained during the day at just gone 2yo. 6 months later she decided that she no longer wanted to wear a nappy at bedtime. We went with it but it seemed to be too early as she didn't wake to wee and this resulted in bedwetting. At the time she got very upset if we attempted to get her into a nappy so we woke her for a wee before going to bed ourselves. She is still not waking to wee herself and I am worried its getting worse, e.g. previously she may needed to wee once per night but now even with one lift she still might wet the bed. She is not horrified by the offer of a nappy anymore and thinks its a bit of fun and has very occasionally worn one, like 10 times in the last 6 months.

Is it a bad move to revert to nappies? She is now just gone 3yo. We really want to be gentle in the approach here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you ever use pull-ups to transition? This is what we did, so from the kids' point of view they know they should still go in the toilet/potty, but the pull-ups offered some peace of mind overnight.

I would do it by not calling it a nappy, calling it "bedtime pants" or something and giving her lots of praise if she gets up during the night to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Night time dryness is hormonal rather than a learned skill. The child’s body needs to start creating the hormone which stops urine being produced at night. My 3 year old day trained at just gone three and refused to wear nappies at night at the same time. He was dry from the start and will wake to pee if he needs to. In hindsight his morning nappies were dry for a while.

If your daughter is regularly wetting the bed it sounds like she’s not ready developmentally so I’d get the nappies / pull ups back on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Thanks guys, your comment are so helpful. I wish I asked this months ago, it could have saved me alot of washing and interrupted sleep!!

Yes Seamus, we did use pull ups and I suppose that is what I now call a nappy. I might go with the rebrand you suggested by calling them night time pants and even get a pack that looks different so that they are new night time pants to her.

I never realised it was a hormonal thing bee, thank you for explaining. She occasionally doesn't wet and occasionally wakes to wee but usually doesn't wake. She obviously emotionally wanted to drop the night nappies but was not hormonally ready and she is quiet headstrong so we just went with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I just talked to her about night time pants and she agreed to wear the last pull up in the house tonight and to come to the shop with Mammy to buy new big girl night time pants tomorrow. Brilliant result!

Advertisement