Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Basic PC for daughter

Options
  • 16-08-2021 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi guys, looking for some advice from people more knowledgable than me to spec up a basic enough PC for my daughter. It's going to be a Christmas gift but I'd prefer to start collecting parts sooner rather than later so I have plenty of time to build. I've given some basic information at the bottom here but maybe as an extra help I'll first give the spec of my PC that she uses now and again and will be a good benchmark of what is required in terms of performance for her.

My PC is a Fujitsu Celsius W530, 3.4GHz i7-4770 CPU which was upgraded with 32GB ram (too much), a 500GB SSD (original 1GB HDD is being used for extra storage), a wireless network adapter and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB graphics card. Apart from that everything else is the same as what it came with out of the box.

1. What is your budget? ~€600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Minecraft, Fortnite, Sims 4 i.e. nothing too heavy. She is also into messing around with GIMP and watching YouTube, Netflix etc. so usage would be very light - my ancient Frankenstein PC does everything she needs.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes. I have an old 22 inch HP VGA monitor which is perfect for a second screen but I would like something like a 24-27" for the main screen.

5a. If yes, what size do you need. 24-27"

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? n/a

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] All of the above

9. When are you purchasing? I will start chipping away at buying parts over the next while.

Just to note I would also be open to buy a pre-built unit if the above requirements can be met.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm assuming you want to upgrade CPU generation?

The screen is also overkill but TBH the price difference between a cheap 75Hz & 144Hz is minimal.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/WXqjdD

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (12nm) 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor (€126.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 X CO CPU Cooler (€18.30 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€64.20 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€69.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For €0.00)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB ACX 2.0 Video Card (Purchased For €0.00)

Case: BitFenix Nova Mesh SE ATX Mid Tower Case (€39.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Power Supply: be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€51.37 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Monitor: Dell S2721HGF 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (€223.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €593.17

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-08-17 02:33 CEST+0200

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Jason_Arch

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I might make a few tweaks but its a great starting point - the motherboard is on its way from Germany as we speak.

Advertisement