Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Endless issues post-gallbladder removal

• 16-08-2021 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hoping I can find someone here who might be in the same boat.

I have been having ongoing issues in relation to my gallbladder. I'm a 26 year old girl. My gallbladder was removed in January 2020 after I had been having issues with gallstones for about a year. Following the surgery, I was doing well and back to normal.

However, in July 2020 I started experiencing a sharp pain in my upper right abdomen that radiated to my back. I ended up being referred to A&E by my GP and found out in hospital that I had a gallstone blocking the bile duct between where my gallbladder had been and my liver. I had an infection in my liver as a result. They cleared the gallstone and all was good.

Over the past 6 months of this year I've been experiencing new issues in the same area. This has meant I've had consistent pain in my upper right abdomen, fatigue, and nausea. This new pain is in the exact same area as my gallbladder pain but is more of a dull ache than a sharp pain. I also can't drink more than two drinks (alcohol) without vomiting. I'm aware that that sounds minor but it is concerning to me because I've never been made sick by drinking before unless I've drank a ton. The pain in my abdomen gets worse after eating too so I really don't enjoy eating out anymore because i'm always worried about it.

My GP initially prescribed me Esomeprazole for these new issues but that did not help at all. On a repeat visit this was changed to Lanzomprazole and Buscopan. I've been taking these for 2 months but they haven't helped either. I've also been referred for an ultrasound and gastroscopy so i'm waiting for those.

I know the scans and the scope should shine a bit of light onto what's going on but I'm really at the end of my tether with all of this. I'm in pain all day every day. I'm worried that they won't be able to help or figure out what's going on.

Has anyone experienced anything similar post-gallbladder removal? Did it get better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

What you would most benefit from is an MRCP which will pick up any stones located in the small bile ducts of the liver. It sounds very like what you're suffering with. Unfortunately this test wasnt available when my issues started 20 years ago and it took a long time for me to be diagnosed but my dad was recently sorted in the space of a week with similar complaint. US, CT scan and x-rays showed no abnormalities but the MRCP identified multiple tiny stones trapped in the liver

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭newbie18892

Thank you. I hadn't heard of that procedure before. I had an ultrasound last month and that came back all normal but I'm still feeling lots of pain. I have the gastroscopy scheduled at the end of this month and will suggest to my doctor that I get a MRCP too.

Advertisement