Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

En-suite Remodel

Options
  • 16-08-2021 11:21am
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m trying to figure out a budget for an en-suite remodel in the bungalow I’m buying and hoping someone here could give me a rough idea of costs. I’ve attached a terrible drawing to help illustrate my plan 🤣

Basically, the current master bedroom is at the front of the house but the back bedroom is much bigger, so we want to make that the master, which will involve sealing up the current en-suite door and knocking out a new one directly opposite it. My husband is a qualified plumber (although had a career change post-recession) so he’ll be taking care of the plumbing aspects, but I’m wondering how much should I expect to pay to have the work for the door done (plus associated plastering) and then the tiling on the en-suite?

The dimensions are 1.2m x 3m and it is currently fully tiled. I would be looking for the walls and floor to be re-tiled. There is a window over the toilet which I think is around 90x90cm. The walls are block construction and the house was built in 2004 (not sure if that makes a difference). Also would we need to remove the old tiles or does the tiler do that?

Post edited by Toots on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Would you consider leaving the old door in place, so both rooms can share the en-suite?

Where we live has the same basic design, with two bedrooms sharing a wall with the en-suite, and always thought it should have doors on both sides.

You would need to do something like this for the sink however

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Unfortunately leaving the other door in situ isn’t an option because that room is going to be occupied by our toddler daughter and giving her unrestricted access to the bathroom would likely result in toys being flushed down the loo, and our septic system being destroyed. Also I think my husband wouldn’t be too happy trying to shave in that sink 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

For the first "issue", you can keep the door locked until she is older eneough to be trusted, but the second might be too much, plus I assume there is a window behind the tiolet, which might hamper a mirror.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes you’re right about the window. I saw another thread here that sounds like they’re doing something similar to what I’m planning, so going by that I’m going to allocate a worst case scenario budget of 10k and hopefully that’ll be enough. I’m hoping to get the keys soon and then I can get actual quotes and hopefully get the job done.

Advertisement