Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fat Bike for Open Mountain riding

Options
  • 16-08-2021 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone has ever used a fat bike on any boggy areas in ireland? Is it possible?

I do quite a lot of hiking and the idea crossed my mind if it would be possible. The terrain looks soft for a mountain bike. But I wondered if a fat bike would work.

Terrain similar to this:

Post edited by CramCycle on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mf1000

I got a fatbike about a year ago and, as well as normal trails, I have done a bit of off-trail cycling too. The bike came with 4" Jumbo Jims and I have recently changed the back tyre to a 4.8" Minion for more grip. Some impressions that you may find useful:

1. Steep climbs are just as tough as with a normal MTB. Grip can be a bit better though.
    2. High vegetation ditto
    3. While soft ground can be leg sapping, I can easily ride over soft ground which would swallow a normal MTB wheel.
    4. The terrain in your photo looks easier than some of the stuff I have been riding. That looks like a lot of fun

You may get more responses if you post on the MTB forum.

Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

No real input on a fat bike other than they're good fun and a wider tyre will always roll better over boggy ground.

I will say though from experience that hike a bike gets very old, very quickly.

Open mountain riding is some of the best mtb riding though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

Yeah Hike a bike is what I'm trying to avoid. I'd love to try one out before I commit to purchasing one. I might see if I can get anyting for a lend in a shop.

With all the uplands and beaches we have in the NW if it works I think I could get great enjoyment from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭OTG

A fatbike should be great for the bogs, the only place they disappoint is on dry deep sand. 4 inch tyres should be enough if there is some substance to the land under you. There is a 5" surly Moonlander that will tackle even more. The main thing to work out is the tyre pressure for the particular terrain , I've rode from just 6 psi to 20psi on the road getting there. If you set the tyres up tubeless too it will save you a lot of hassle, a split smaller tube coming over the bead of the rim and tyre mounted inside, remove the core, inject sealent and do it again in 2-3 years time. Gearing a 26 tooth ring with a 11-42 on the back should cover everything. I had an On One Fatty, a Surly Pugsley (too small for me but loved it) and now riding a Verenti Indulgence with an upgraded drivetrain and tyres etc. Would buy something with a steel frame, it'll be heavy anyway so not going to make a difference. I'm in Wexford but if you're ever around you're welcome to try mine out. I'm 5'10"

Advertisement