Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subbing opportunities for PME students?

• 15-08-2021 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello everyone. I am due to start my PME in September and am curious as to how much subbing is available to PME students. I am registered with the teaching Council and have experience tutoring at University level. Will there be enough or any subbing hours to help get by (I'm in the d15 area btw). If not, how did you manage to support yourself during this process, is full time work feasible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

What are your subjects if you don't mind me asking? I subbed a lot during my dip, largely due to the subjects I had or could teach as it was easier than trying to find a sub. There are shortages in Dublin in lots of areas. The school matters too, there are still principals knocking around with 3/4 primarily humanities teacher on half timetable making up sub hours, shouldn't happen but it does.

With extra covid cover too I know our PMEs were flat out last year. Compared to minimum wage it's very well paid per hour. If you had an indemand subject like Irish, Home EC, MFL, etc you cohdk nearly look around to different schools and get guaranteed hours but that will depend where you are doing the PME

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cait110

My subjects are English and History and I'm doing it in DCU. I know those subjects will probably make it more difficult to find hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭noplacehere

Depends on the school. Our PMEs were flat out last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 saz123x

Depends on the school. If you’re in one of the ETBs in D15 I cant see you being short of subbing hours. Will also depend on how many days you are school based etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I'm not so familiar with the DCU setup, we are the other side of the city so don't get many PMEs out that way, would you be in every day?

I'd say it outright to the deputy or principal from the start. A lot of principals want to have an easy solution when someone calls in sick so good to be on the radar, deputy generally would do sub cover. Also good to be involved in sports/clubs etc, both for your career and CV and for the exposure. I'd also say it's my favourite part of the job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement