Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue trees in garden, getting worrying.

Options
  • 14-08-2021 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

So these 3 trees (or is it 7?) have shot up in like 5 or 6 years, one after the other off the one root it appears. I left them as they give nice cover from the house behind us, in summer at least. Came home from 2 weeks holiday recently and there was 20 small trees shooting up around the garden, off the roots I guess? Some were quite a distance from the main tree.

The lawn has become quite uneven over these years, caused by roots I’m assuming. Roots have come up to the surface around the swings where the ground is compressed. There are also little stumps appearing (pictured) where I mow offshoots repeatedly from. Im worried that the roots are gonna compromise the back wall or the neighbours shed or come as far as my decking and extension and cause trouble there.

Also, how high are they gonna get? They already block out a fair bit of morning sun and was wondering could I take a lot of height out of them to still provide the privacy but allow sun into both gardens. 2/3s of the height could come off the large one at least.

Any help, suggestions or ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Looks like a variegated poplar. They do send up loads of shoots. Just pull them out as they appear and mowing will usually stop them growing in the grass,

The existing trees are very near the fence and may cause damage over time. Keep them well pruned and inspect roots and wall regularly.

I once heard an amusing, half serious piece of advice on a gardening programme about pruning them...Use a chainsaw two inches from the ground!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

[quote]Looks like a variegated poplar.[/quote]

Aw man, just googled that and now I’m even more concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

See the advice from wild willow.

Especially his last line. 😀

if you like them, keep them and if you can, trim them. You can hire expertise if you can’t.

If they are causing that much worry to yo remove them. Replace with small shrub type bushes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you should post a closeup of the leaves. if they are variegated poplar, i wouldn't keep them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Here are the leaves

• Advertisement

At least the Variegated Poplar doesn't grow as tall as Hybrid Black or White Poplar. All Poplar's sucker (new plants from existing roots) like mad though, just a matter of removing as they pop up. Most Variegated Poplars especially Balm of Gilead, which I think these might be, get disease and die fairly young, 30-40 years.

Some further bad news, cutting down Poplar's often does not reduce the appearance of suckering shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Yes it's variegated poplar.

Advertisement