Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Perseids tonight (Wednesday going into Thursday) or tomorrow night (Thurs going into Fri)?

Options
  • 11-08-2021 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Very excited to watch the Perseids peak this year as always! Media reports are as usual a little confusing though - is the epic peak tonight or tomorrow night? I know it's August 12th, but does that mean the night after midnight tonight, or tomorrow night after nightfall?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Hi hatrickpatrick,

the maximum according to the International Meteor Organisation is Thursday night, August 12/13, but good rates will also be seen tonight as the shower has a reasonably broad peak.

The weather forecast for Dublin/Wicklow is a mixed bag tonight according to the model runs on windy.com but a bit better Thursday evening. Tonight looks good for a while though in the midlands and Louth. I’m a bit biased towards the East Coast though with that info - checking websites like Clear Outside will also allow refining of the prospective cloud conditions.

Fingers crossed though we’ll see some Perseids!

john

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What direction should I be looking and what time?

south facing garden and sky is pretty clear now so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Skies perfect here in the west for a change. most places should have good clear skies before cloud moves in from the west

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

Just saw my first one towards the north by the plough . Might get lucky , sky's are good at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Never realised there were so many satellites in orbit!!

great condition for watching the meteor shower. South dublin. Looking south out the back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Massive one flew into the sky towards the west. Lit up the walls of the back garden. Very cool.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

I’ve seen 4 in the last hour and a half, maybe two hours, north Dublin garden. A lot of light pollution here but a couple of them were very bright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Saw that too, it even seemed to glow purple for a bit. Best one I’ve ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Saw that big one towards the west. Lots of satellites about to heading south to north

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Plenty about, Best one just after I got set up. All taken facing south

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Class, are they just single exposures?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Saw a bunch last night and Wednesday night! How steep is the drop-off after the peak? Any point in having another look tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I saw 5 in half an hour last night. So cool. The first one was really bright. I have never seen the likes of it.

If it's clear tonight, I will sit out for a while.

Didn't see many last night but then again I had a group from a camera club causing problems with turning on flashlights and being a general pain on the ars.

Advertisement