Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Time for a career change?

• 11-08-2021 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2 teatime1985

I hope you are well. I am sure some of you wise people can give me a little advice....

I am 35 and have worked in the special needs sector and the childcare sector, I have a social work qualification and an early childhood education qualification ( two year diploma courses). I had been feeling a bit stuck in the sector the past few years but I got a promotion to manager which meant a bigger payday, but still lower than national average due to the sector.

However, the hours are long (7:30 starts, often 6pm finishes) and I am thinking of starting a family. Part time jobs in this sector are rare and normally are at minimum wage (the manager position is only offered full time) and I think I'm feeling a bit disillusioned watching friends work less hours for more pay. I guess I'm looking for a better work life balance and a better ladder I could climb over time.

I have no idea what else I would want to do as the care sector is all I have worked in and I think I'm now hoping I could find something I could train up in that might offer me a better future.... Hope this makes sense and I'm hoping others may have guidance as I'm a bit scared not knowing what is ahead

Comments

Advertisement