Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible illegal burning

Options
  • 11-08-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Neighbour across the road has been producing this smoke from his chimney every evening for about 30 /45 mins for the past few months. You cant really tell from the video but the smoke is yellow/dark brown and smells rotten.

My first thought was illegal burning smokey coal based on the smell.

Is it normal for "smokeless" fuel to produce so much smoke?

My first action was a friendly letter in the mailbox asking him to stop as I have sever asthma and it stinks up my whole home...Nothing changed.

I made a complaint to the National Environmental Complaints section and they sent out someone from the council .

I spoke to the council officer over the phone and he said a video like this cant prove illegal burning and that is is perfectly legal to burn paper and cardboard all night if they so wish( he thinks this may be the issue but I doubt it).

I'm at my wits end with this craic. Every evening I have to smell this Shi*e and it ruins what little summer weather we have. Not to mention I live in an urban area with a smokey coal ban.

Is there anything more I can do?

Post edited by somethingbleh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,861 ✭✭✭✭muffler

mod/ I have removed the first pic as its too easy to identify the house concerned.

If the Environment section of the Council cant assist then I think your only option is to seek legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

Looking at the color of the smoke and given the smell my opinion would the neighbour burning household waste like chicken carcasses left over from dinner, potato peeling etc, general organic household waste along with cardboard etc. With the size of the plume normally people get a decent enough fire going then hoof a packed bag of waste into the fire and put a newspaper over the front of the fireplace to create a strong draft to burn. Your neighbour couldn’t be arsed paying bin charges IMO. Seen it before with previous tenants of mine and it makes crap out of the chimney with all the creosote etc stuck in the flue. I imagine it’s a renter as for an owner occupier absolutely stupid thing to do. But in short it’s waste burning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

This is why it should be mandatory for every household to pay a minim waste charge (added to the household charge) and this charge giving a basic collection service.

The ban on burning (as opposed to sale and distribution) of smoky coal only came into force last September - but Donegal CC website has not updated their website and continues to say it is a ban on sale and distribution

I would guess the occupier is unemployed and has the house courtesy of the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"I would guess the occupier is unemployed and has the house courtesy of the taxpayer."

Well that didn't take long!

Advertisement