Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planned C section Coombe

• 09-08-2021 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, has anyone had a planned c section in the Coombe recently? I'm due to have one in mid September and would like to know what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just came across this on the main page and have no insight to this but I didn't know you could go in a head and plan one I always thought it was a last minute decision by the doctor or mid wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I'm due mine next week, will come back and fill you in. I dont think it will be too different from my last one, there's a helpful video here https://www.coombe.ie/caesarean-birth.

My consultant says I come in first thing, partner waits in the car until they're bringing me to theatre (I'll get confirmation in a few days as to whether he as to be tested or whether is vaccination cert is acceptable). Last time around I had to fast from midnight (6am if it's an afternoon appointment).

It's a very different sensation to an emergency section, no pulling or any of that awful stuff. Very relaxed and calm atmosphere. Baby stays with you the whole time in recovery until your bed is ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ElaineM90

Hi xalot,

That would be great...its my first one and worried about being awake for surgery and thebl recovery afterwards.

Hope everything goes well for you next week!

Prepare yourself for a lot of people in the room, it's very busy and can be a bit overwhelming, but everyone will explain what they're doing before they do it. There will be a screen up at your waist so you wont see anything gory. The baby will be removed quickly but the stitching after can take some time.

As for recovery, it's different for everyone but I found it grand, try to get up and use the toilet as soon as you can after, the longer you leave it the worse it is. Also stay on top of your meds, the nurses use a strange phrase like 'are you ok for meds?' and you think you're fine but tell them you want whatever is prescribed, as often as it is prescribed. If they're very busy you may need to keep an eye on what time you're supposed to take your meds as trust me you dont want to miss getting them on time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Great point on the meds, each time you get some meds you can ask them what is my next med prescribed and at what time is that due

Thanks, that's really helpful. I want to try mental prep myself for what to expect so its not as overwhelming when I get there and can be excited for baby to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Chickus

Best of luck. I found the csection fine and my recovery went well. I did sweat a lot after as I think it's to do with drips etc and fluids need an escape route.

Main tip:Take stool softener like dulcalax etc as soon as possible after (ask midwife) your bowel gets very lazy after surgery and can take quite a while for things to get moving which can be very uncomfortable with scar etc.

I had my section last week so thought I'd just log in to let you know the current protocol. It's quite long, but might be helpful for someone preparing for the procedure.

I arrived at 9am to admissions and was brought straight to my room, was lucky to get a very large private room. I had fasted from the night before and my husband went to get some breakfast. I unpacked, got into a paper robe that ties at the back and paper underwear. I wore my own dressing gown over this and flip flops. The midwives took a medical history, some bloods and I took a table for nausea and a potion for anti reflux, the liquid was disgusting and I was sure I was going to throw up after taking it.

The anesthetist came to take a history and talked me through the procedure. At 11.30 I was told they were ready for me. Myself and my husband were taken to a small room outside the theatre where he put on a gown and a hat and brought the clothes (nappy, vest, babygro and hat) that the baby would wear.

I was brought into theatre while he waited in the area outside. There were 10 people in the room at the time, felt a little overwhelming as they were all busy doing different things to me! 3 different drips were put into my arm, some heart rate and blood pressure monitors were put on my back and chest. The anesthetist talked me through the epidural and I bent over on the table, very still, while he numbed the area and gave me the epidural, it was not painful. Then my legs got all heavy and warm and I lay back on the table while he checked that I was completely numb by using a cold spray. A catheter was inserted, felt pressure but no pain. When my consultant arrived they put up a paper screen in front of my chest so I couldn't see anything. This all took about 30 mins.

When they started my husband was brought it, there was a little tugging sensation but nothing major, certainly nothing like having a section when you are in actual labour. Everything was very calm. My blood pressure dropped and I started to feel woozy, this happened to me last time so I knew I was going to be sick, my husband held a bowl to the side of my mouth while I got sick, it wasn't too bad, kind of like the spins when you're drunk. They gave me anti nausea meds through my drip which did the trick and I was fine. About 20 mins later my little guy was born, they dropped the drape so I could see him and they brought him over for some quick checks and then put him on my chest for skin to skin. My husband then took him to recovery while I was stitched up, about 20 mins. I was then brought to recovery where I could establish breastfeeding. We waited there until visiting hours had resumed and then transferred back to my room. The catheter wasn't removed until the next day so I was bedbound.

Recovery went well, I had really bad trapped wind in my ribcage and shoulders, something that's apparently quite common but I had not experienced before. I was given nurofen/paracetomal every 6 hours but had to ask for my prescribed painkiller, they dont give it to you routinely so definitely make a note of when you're due and ask for it, it's so important to stay on top of the pain. Also ask for a stool softener.

Visiting hours were rigidly stuck to, previously in the private ward they were a bit more relaxed but not during COVID.

Thanks so much for the all the information! I had my c section on Tuesday, with a similar experience to the above! Only 1 drip was put into my arm, some heart rate and blood pressure monitors were put on my back and chest. Spinal was done very quickly, felt a small pinch when it was numbed and a little pressure but nothing too bad. While there was a lot of people in the room, everyone was so nice and reassuring particularly when they knew how much anxiety I had about it. Even through out the section, all the theatre staff and my consultant were always checking I was OK and if there was anything else they could do for me and making sure I wasn't stressed. It went so quickly from start to finish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement