Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times when you just can't say what you want

Options
  • 09-08-2021 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Can any of you think of a time when you simply weren't able to say something that you wanted to... or thought you'd be able to? I remember when I got my first bus lesson, the instructor was a friendly fellow and after the lesson, when we parked up, he spoke for too long. I didn't have it in me to politely tell him to shut up. 

I had paid for a two hour lesson, and when we parked up after the lesson, the instructor began talking about bus related matters. Some of it was interesting, some of it was good advice, but some of it was long winded, or else intertwined with his life philosophy. I remember him saying at one point "I don't do this for the money, that's why my lessons are cheaper... because in the long run people appreciate the good nature and you get it back in other ways... but you don't do it because you know you're going to get it back, you do it because it's the right thing to do". The thing was he wasn't really on my time anymore, as the lesson was over... so he was giving me this advice as a favour. I could have said to him "I don't mean to offend, but this is all quite long winded, and if my stomach wasn't beginning to rumble I'd like to hear more, but I do have to go soon so if there's anything else pertinent to today's lesson, could you say it in a more concise manner?" Who knows how he would have acted. Maybe it was because he was doing it as a favour, was the reason he felt he had the right reminise about his personal stories!

He then started talking about how the person getting the bus lesson should always get the instructor to slow down if they don't understand. Then another story followed about a time he was in hospital and a doctor dealt with him too fast. He called the doctor back and said "sit down here and explain that to me as if I was a 13 year old". Of course he was making the comparison with this, to me not being afraid to stop him during a lesson if he were explaining things too too fast. I'm sure he thought he was one of the nicest guys on Earth. But if he took offense at what I considered saying, then I'd have proved that to be untrue.

Comments

Advertisement