Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sexual assault more "horrific" for men than women?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's not a competition, I think everyone would be traumatised regardless of gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Fairly sure if a woman was forced to perform a sexual act by two people in the city centre it would make the news.

FFS, sexual assault is extremely traumatising and horrific for any injured party, regardless of gender.

Also, if this particular assault took place on a woman, then yes, it would make the news 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Equally traumatic

Horrendous story

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I think you guys are missing the point. Yes all sexual assaults are horrific. No one said otherwise.

There are around 2000 reported rapes or sexual assaults reported by women every year in Ireland and very few get a mention in the media. Far worse assaults don't make the news.

• Advertisement

Lots of crimes don't make the news.

What's your point? Maybe a reporter got a tip off and rang the Garda press office.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought the OP would be Mr Feg V2.x.

I am disappoint.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Of course lots of sexual assaults go unreported by the media. For a variety of different valid reasons. However, a serious sexual assault carried out by 2 offenders on a very public street would absolutely get reported. In fact, from a gender perspective, I would imagine this would be a bigger story if it was a female victim (courtesy of social media etc).

With regards the question - yes, I do think it is slightly worse for a male victim. That is not, in any way, to lessen the seriousness for female victims. But for a male victim, they suffer the same, but also have the additional factors of "you probably enjoyed it", "why didn't you fight them off", (where the perpetrator is male and victim is straight) the fact that it was a homosexual experience and the view (perpetuated all too often by those shouting loudest about rape/sexual assault) that the victim is suffering from a "woman's problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

In terms of whether it would make the news if it was a woman, I think what you are missing here is the fact that the Gardai caught the incident actually happening, which removes the factor of the victim having to report it in the first place, and why it'd be in the list of events briefed by Gardai to the news outlets.

Cases of rape where the victim is a woman do make the news, but I suppose a pessimist would argue that it's so common, people don't really take note that much any more. Whereas a male victim would be more likely to affect you, because it's not as common.

It's obviously a horrific thing regardless of gender though I can see if you're male you would find it hard to reach out for support about it for fear of what people will think of you and dealing with people's crappy attitudes, particularly with the homophobia factor (like dotsman said above), it'd be so isolating. If you're a woman and this happens to you, you probably know somebody else it's also happened to, which is both good and grim AF.

Advertisement