Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace vodafone Gigabox with TP-Link modem

Options
  • 09-08-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi there,

I have just purchased a TP-Link AC2800 modem router to replace my vodafone Gigabox modem.

I've tried PPPoE settings with username vodafone@vodafone.ie password broadband with VLAN 10, everything else default.

I've also tried username <Gigabox serial number>@vfieftth.ie password broadband with VLAN 10, everything else default.

Both of these fail. Ive also tried putting in the IP provided by vodafone.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Are you FTTC or FTTH? If FTTC don't think you need the VLAN 10 bit, that's used on FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 smon1

I'm FTTH vodafone (siro)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Let me know if you get it working, I am mad to get rid of the rubbish gigacrap box

Don't want to shell out unless something will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I'm a FTTH vodafone (siro)

The tp-link setup is as follows:

DSL Modulation Type: VDSL or ADSL?

VDSL

VLAN ID: 10

or ADSL

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

username: <Gigabox sn>@vfieftth.ie

password: broadband

MAC address: < Gigabox Mac address>

Primary DNS 89.19.64.164

Secondary DNS: 89.19.64.36

MTU size: ?

NAT: enabled

Full cone NAT: disabled

IGMP Proxy: enabled

Use ip specified by isp: disabled

MLD proxy: disabled

IPv6: I presume this can be left disabled.

That's the extent of the settings to be honest.

• Advertisement

ADSL/VDSL is for FTTC, you didn't need a Router/Modem (the ONT from SIRO is the equivalent of the "modem").

You may still be able to use it if one of the LAN ports is designated as LAN/WAN, plug the ethernet cable from the ONT into that and see if there is a WAN/Ethernet PPPOE setting in the router different to the xDSL ones.

Dam099 Sweet, that was it!

I set the device to router only mode which gave me some WAN settings again and just entered vodafone@vodafone.ie and password broadband.

TP-Link AC2800 might have been overkill but but got the job done and also will future proof if I move away from SIRO or vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭trellheim

Successfully connected tp-link Archer AX55 FTTH

PPPOE

username: <Gigabox sn>@vfieftth.ie

password: broadband

Need to dig in to settings to enable VLAN10, ( also need to set fake VLANs for VOIP and IPTC as it wont left you off the setup screen without them )

No speed decrease and works fine so far , WIFI6 screaming fast wifi to phones lol 500 MB from both 5G and Wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Just got upgraded to FTTH by Open Eir for Vodafone today.

I had a VF gigabox in bridge mode connected to a TP AC5400X and with an additional TP LINK EAP110 access point in the kitchen.

And i'm well flumoxed - I tried the settings above to no avail.

Is IPTV used as a proxy for VLAN in some guides?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Also when I connect the EAP110 directly to the Gigabox it only gets 35mbps download (i knew it wasn't going to get the full 500mbps cos it's only specced to 300mbps but that's disappointing).

Anyway - must take another look at this later without kids. But any steers gratefully received :)

*and after years of awful DSL, yeah to fibre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Rick_Rack

H, can you or someone break this down like im 5? I would like to change router and would love to where to locate these parameters in my Gigabit router.

is it "expert mode> General information> WAN status"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McMercSLR

This worked for me, thanks a lot

Unfortunately the speed on TP-Link Archer AX73 is actually disappointing on Vodafone 1Gbps compared to out of the box router.

Around 350 compared to 250.

Edit: it jumped to 1.1 Gbps, happy days

Post edited by McMercSLR on

I dont think 1.1 Gbps is possible on that TP-Link. Are you using Fast.com? It sometimes over-reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 McMercSLR

Yeh it was on Fast.com, for my ego. SpeedTest reports 935, still delighted with the performance.

Advertisement