Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

guidelines on ground rent on private house

• 09-08-2021 1:14pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭

does anyone have a link to what the regulations/law is on ground rent?

we have received a demand for ground rent on our house after roughly 10 years here. this is no major issue, we knew when buying that we didn't own the freehold on the land. the arrears demanded are not onerous, but i'm just curious as to a few things, e.g. as to how far back arrears can be demanded, and what the legal situation is regarding the claim in the letter that we need to seek permission before undertaking contruction work.

at least one neighbour has received an identical letter for an identical arrears amount.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This link says its a maximum of 6 years for arrears.

As for the "permission for construction" issue. That is a standard part of being a lease holder. You need to seek permission to perform any major works on the property. Obviously there is a level of common sense with the "construction" element. Painting or installing/removing shelving is not an issue. Installing a patio, extension or knocking down walls obviously is. The obvious reason for this is that you dont own the land, and if your work affects the value of the land negatively then they will refuse you permission. Also they need to make sure the work you are doing doesnt negatively affect the external structure of the building which they may also own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, the fact that the neighbour got an identical demand for arrears was what led me to believe there was a maximum there. i know a lot of our neighbours have undertaken significant construction work (we haven't) and you can bet no permission was asked; apparently rent hasn't been demanded in over 20 or 30 years so most people wouldn't know who to ask or would even consider it i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

If it hasnt been collected in that period of time its likely the leaseholder has probably gone into care or something and someone handling their estate has realised that the rent is not being collected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I wonder, if the ground rent has not been demanded in 20+ years, could adverse posession apply, or has this recent demand reset the clock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Aaargh123

following for interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

I'd be verifying how valid the request is. I know someone who got a request like that a few years back from a company claiming they had been engaged by the owner to run a management company for the properties. All looked very valid, except the overall owner happened to be a relative who knew nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Tow

It is probably cheaper to buy out the ground rent than do the legal work and messing around for adverse possession.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, we're going to follow up on this. the letter tells how we can verify the claim, by going to the PRAI - but i don't yet know if this will show the owner or the agency representing the owner (the letter is from an agency claiming to represent them).

the letter claims they'll be billing us twice a year, which given the rent is not exactly lucrative, seems an expensive way of going about it.

and yes, buying out the lease would cost just over 1k, which is what we're thinking we'll do, if the letter is legit.

would that apply in that we (in effect) agreed to the lease when we bought the house 10 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy the lease out. It makes sales much cleaner and or any future conveyance e.g inheritance .

• Advertisement

yep, we just need to ensure the letter sent is genuine; it was addressed to 'the occupier' so could be legit, could be a fishing expedition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect not, as the resident is there by permission, as evidenced by the lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I thought these things were a long passed memory of our absentee landlords. I guess the kids feel they can make a quick buck from it. The father used to get hand written letters from an English gentleman on random years (could be two could be ten) requesting ground rent be settled which also was a nominal figure, they were carefully filed into the fire. The house has been bought and sold several times since without issue.

depends on how long the lease is, from what i understand - no issue buying and selling, it's when the lease starts getting near the end that things can get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It can also be problematic for non-residential property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

Op you can contact the ground rents section in the land registry to buy out the freehold by arbitration. Have a look at the landlord and tenant ground rents (no 2) act, 1978.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,664 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Arrears of rent more than 12 years outstanding cannot be collected (unless they have been acknowledged, etc, in the past 12 years) - they are statute-barred. But adverse possession doesn't run for the benefit of a tenant against a landlord. It may start to run when the lease expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Adverse possession only begins to run 1 year after the lease expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You took an assignment of the lease. Technically, what you bout was an interest in the lease on the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Should the folio for a property (i.e. obtained on landdirect.ie) show this company as the leasehold owners? A relatives very recent folio application show some 4 Reverends as the leasehold interest parties and it says this was was created in the 1940's but yet they are getting ground rent letters similar to above?

• Advertisement
Advertisement