Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's going on with 123?

Options
  • 08-08-2021 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi All,

I got a renewal for the end of the month and it was coming in at €516 odd fully comp on the car. I went on as a new customer with all the same details with the exception of the car having depreciated by say €1000 and the same policy I have came back at about €413. I rang 123, spoke to them, got no where with explaining my case, turns out the lad I was speaking to was on his first day and was in training but he could see the enquiry as a new customer and acknowledged it and said hed rectify it with a manager it but what did they come back with....the same €513.

I'm seriously thinking of just signing up as a new customer to kick in on the date and not renewing as an existing customer, can I do this or are there any implications given it's with the same company?

I made a complaint about it saying a new Joe Soap can weigh in and get a better price as an existing customer but the reply I got was useless and not helpful to my cause.

Has anyone else had this with 123?

Ta!

FR85

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's the exact same with all insurance companies and a lot of other businesses. A new customer gets a discount and the loyal sucker gets hit with increased costs. At renewal you need to check all the companies and brokers you can find them compare prices with policy details.

There's nothing to stop you taking out the new policy, you'll just need to send 123 the proof of NCD they sent you! or moving to a new company if they offer a better policy.

Some people say go back to the original company to try to get more money off. But if a company can suddenly drop a substantial amount off my renewal because I got a better quote they can feck off, send me my proper quote or don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Del2005 I'm going to do a bit more shopping about tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being daft or missing something, myself and herself who is a named driver on the policy went down through both offerings and they match with the exception of the depreciation as mentioned.

Shop about tomorrow!

Thanks Del!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭standardg60

My renewal quote was 760, 710 with online discount.

Went online as new customer, dropped the bonus protection, and got a quote of 434!

Paid it there and then, and then rang about the renewal. Girl first quoted 710, but after i explained she was happy to transfer the ncb over and proceed with the new cover.

Shenanigans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I left them this year after 9 years! For a quote of €700 fully comp to renew from them and their online system was within a few Euro of it. I got insured for less than €400 elsewhere and didn't even give 123 a chance to counter.

My advice is to call around, get other online quotes and if the price is cheaper elsewhere (and the cover is the same or what you are willing to accept), then jump ship. Loyalty means nothing to companies whether they sell insurance, broadband, electricity and so on... so why bother staying?

Advertisement