Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Repairing and Upgrading an old Laptop

• 08-08-2021 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've an old HP DV-4100 series laptop (Specifically a hp dv-7 4150ea) . It has an Intel Core i5-450M processor in it that I wish to upgrade.

I looked at the service manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/546756/Hp-Pavilion-Dv7-4100-Entertainment-Notebook-Pc.html?page=103#manual

And seen the the Fastest CPU it supports is an Intel Core i7-840QM

I managed to get my hands on this processor, and replaced the FAN (which was also screwed) and the Processor. The laptop will not even boot to a prompt screen with the i7 (IE it wont power on). I put the i5 back in and it boots fine.

As a test I put in an i5-3230m (which is the fastest chip that, that socket will support) the computer powers on but just loads a prompt screen, suggesting that everything is working from a hardware point of view except that the BIOS does not support that chip.

Tried the original i5 again to make sure I didn't break anything and it's working fine.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that i7 chip I got broken?

G.

Advertisement