Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered with two GPs

Options
  • 08-08-2021 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

I have had ongoing vague health issues for years, with no real cause being thrown up. It’s to the point where I was embarrassed at the frequency of my appointments and afraid of being labelled a hypochondriac but I was determined to not give up, so I sought a second opinion from another doctor (with the same conclusions).

Since, I’ve alternated between the two practices as I didn’t want either to dismiss me as a hypochondriac coming in so frequently, and although I prefer GP A, it can be hard to get an appointment there, and GP B offers more suitable options for appointment times. I had some investigations done for GP B and was prescribed medication.

However, I just want to go to GP A from now on as I feel weird about all this messing about, and neither has the full picture of my history as I’m too embarrassed to admit I’ve seen the other doctor and feel guilty. I imagine I’ll need my records transferred, or should I broach it directly with GP A and fill them in? I’m possibly massively overthinking this, but is this a huge faux pas on my part? Is it likely GP A will think I’m a total looper/be insulted if they get my medical records and see all of these things I never brought to them or told them about? Or is this kind of thing common? Thanks for any guidance.

HJ

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I've been doing the same thing.

I wouldn't bother telling the gp unless is was extremely important.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I can appreciate the OP"s concerns and to a certain extent seeking a 2nd opinion, however I have to ask how was it possible to get GP B a full picture if medical records were not already transferred? Was it a case OP just went to GP B and they didn't enquire as to who previous GP was and request records, this would be normal practice unless of course a patient didn't have a GP to start with.

I'd also be extremely concerned at OP potentially being over prescribed medications if there is no AWARENESS by each GP or another GP involved in a patients care. I would have thought a patient would have certain obligations to disclose full medical facts and details of who has been treating them previously, I'm not suggesting a legal obligation, more one of an ethical nature.

Gp"s opinions can differ greatly, obviously blood tests, scans etc can help determine a diagnosis but I just wonder is it not wise to stick with on GP, especially one who has a full picture as it were.

It took a number of years for my GP to suspect a Thyroid illness but in fairness the disease I have is known to be incredibly difficult to diagnose and early symptoms can be assigned to various other ailments. I now have a full diagnosis and see a consultant regularly and I am meds to control the disease and symptoms, probably for life.

Obviously I don't fully know the OP"S symptoms but just feel it wise to stick with GP A, whom they prefer anyway, if as it seems no records were shared with GP B, just leave it at that, however if Meds have been prescribed by GP B, I feel OP has no choice but to fully explain the situation to GP A as the prescribing of medications is a whole different and potential serious concern.

Perhaps OP might be over thinking this, perhaps they have doubts but Good Gp"s don't give up on their patients but equally if a GP is of the opinion there is nothing wrong, they will in a measured way explain this to a patient.

Difficult situation, I just advise careful consideration and wish OP well in finding answers.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

If you have vague health with no real cause perhaps look into your nutrition & diet as well, very often that what cause vague health, fatigue, diarrhea, vomiting, inflammation, cancer etc

Advertisement