Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford County staycation recommendation please?

Options
  • 04-08-2021 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭

So we are gonna do The Greenway and wanna find a nice place to stay a night or two afterwards.. maybe east of Dungarvan... but would prefer no more than an hrs drive from Kilmacthomas... can anyone recommend somewhere not to big? All we need is some nice scenery, a place to sleep and be able to get something to eat/drink... don't wanna stay in Tramore or Waterford - dunno what Dunmore East is like... Anyway, any suggestions? I know Ireland is busy now but we prefer off the beaten track if possible.. think hidden gems.. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

If you want to stay on the coast; Clonea Strand, Bunmahon, Stradbally. Dunmore East is much bigger than the other 3, much busier and more expensive to stay in but has much more choice of shops, restaurants, amenities and accomodation.

There are any number of little hidden gems of coves/beaches/cliff walks along the Waterford coastline; Ballydwan, Kilfarasy, Annestown, Ballyvoyle etc.

Check out the Copper Coast; https://coppercoastgeopark.com/ and

the Dunmore East Cliff walk; https://www.discoverireland.ie/waterford/dunmore-east-coastal-walk.

Check out Anne Valley Nature Walk; https://www.waterfordvisitorcentre.com/blog/waterfords-wonderful-outdoors-anne-valley-walk

We've got it all going on in Waterford you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

great - thanks for all that.. we actually managed to get a bnb in Dunmore East for the weekend but the forecast is terrible - might have to postpone - we shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

Copper coast, anywhere from Stradbally/Dunmore East/Dungarvan are all beautiful and sizeable (well Stradbally isn't huge, but has most things you need)

Waterford city and Cork are all relatively close enough, Fota wildlife park etc. And even Kilkenny would be doable as a day trip.

anyone know of acommodation in Stradbally?

I live in Cork - I know West Waterford v well - but not from say, Kilmacthomas and eastwards.. wanna explore the copper coast and Dunmore East.. no interest in Waterford city.. we are all about the outdoors

• Advertisement

Leave it with me and I'll make an enquiry, when are you thinking of coming? I do know accomodation isn't plentiful right now, so just a heads-up.

wow that would be great - well we are going East this weekend but we could extend it - mayb stay near Stradbally during the week if we got a place near somewhere we could also get a bite to eat and a scoop... but if not possible on this trip, twud be good to know for future ref

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Dunmore East is a bit far over from Kilmacthomas, Google Maps says 39 mins but I'd say 55 to an hour might be more accurate.

There are so many nice places over the Dungarvan side - Lismore, The Blackwater Valley, the Copper Coast, I'd be inclined to stay that side. Around Dungarvan might be the best bet.

been and back - had an amazing trip - review later.. but suffice to say, coves, coast, cliffs galore

• Advertisement

Had a fab trip in Waterford back in August.. a quick review.. (we didn't bother with The Greenway- Headed straight for The Coper Coast/Dunmore East areas as not been to either before).. OMG how had I not been there before I don't know... but hey, we were blessed with the weather.. gee - the scenery was sooo beautiful.. so many beautiful coves, cliffs and beaches - and we explored most of them.. got some epic views... (and pics).. stayed in Dunmore East area... The Strand Inn was manic - avoided it.. not our scene.. loved The Spinnaker and Azzuro... Power's Bar too.. though stayed outside.. lots of cliff walking in that area .. hook head next staycation.. could see it in the distance - so close but yet so far..

Special places - so many but here are a few - The UNESCO copper mines centre.. (love physical Geography).. then Kilfarrasy Beach (that was like a field trip based on what we learnt at the centre).. scenery was unreal too.. loved Tra Na Mo.. Ballyduwane (wow)... Stradbally Cove.. WOW (did a cliff walk in that area which was class - views over the whole cliff line towards Helvic Head)..

Oh we stopped at The Engine House in Bunmahon a few times during our stay.. really nice place for a pit stop/lunch/drink etc.. fab space and staff were v cool.. great vibe there..

Met lovely locals along the way (esp. 1 elderly gentleman in Stradbally lol).. Dunmore East was v busy and not many locals.. (didn't realise how much of a holiday home village it is).. still, met some nice people... it really is such a pretty place..

Super time had - heaven down there.. would love to live there sometime actually... hmm.. and some beaches wer practically empty (guess cos there are so many)..

Oh got close to The Metal Men too but was disappointed that we couldn't get nearer

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I spent most of my childhood holidays in Stradbally. Only got to Kilfarrassy for the 1st time 2 years ago. It's incredible.

Same, great memories of the area as a child, and we still have property in the area (my father has semi relocated there now for retirement)

Advertisement