Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleknock - is it a nice area to live?

Options
  • 04-08-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I've been living in Ireland for almost 10 years, but I've never been to Dublin 15 before and I am looking to buy properties for myself living at the moment.

Castleknock area interests me by its good location, a couple of schools and big shopping mall nearby.

however I'd like to hear more advises from locals, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's the worst place in Dublin. Kip is all I can say to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

Dublin 15 is big area, which part exactly of castleknock you are interested ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ian1900

I’m looking at properties around Collegewood, just close to castleknock college

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

There's actual Castleknock and then there's Castleknock postal addresses. Can be quite a difference. Castleknock itself is lovely but lots of places with Castleknock postal addresses are less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think Castleknock is good area. With any good area its has the usual problems of traffic, expensive, and hard to get into schools. Property is in short supply. I would also say its very slightly over priced relative to similar good areas around the city. If the extra is worth it, will depend is the location suits you better than other good areas. Close to things you want to be close to etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

we used to live very near there about 7 years ago. We really liked it. Very nice area at the time (moved away from the area but can't imagine it's changed that much). Local shops down by the Carpenter pub. Blanch very handy, loads of sports amenities, the park, Castleknock village very nice. So convenient for town, good transport links. Sometimes I wonder why we ever moved away!

The only negative that I remember was the traffic to get out to M50. Roads to Laurel Lodge, College Road etc all very busy but aside from that every else was good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hey OP, I grew up in Castleknock and still live nearby so I know the area very well.

It is a good place to live, settle, raise a family etc. and has all the amenities you could want at your doorstep - the huge Phoenix Park being one of the best assets of the area. That said, traffic is utterly abysmal these days at rush hour, public transport in the suburb is so-so (the rail line serves Laurel Lodge and Carpenterstown (sometimes called “upper Castleknock”) and the 37 bus. The village is nice and the area has a semi-rural feel thanks to the Phoenix Park and Liffey Valley green belt.

There are good schools in the area, both public and private and for shopping there’s the new Lidl bang in the centre of the village and Tesco , Super Valu and the Blanchardstown Centre nearby.

One downside of Castleknock is the snobbish and pretentious vibe from many who live there - basically “new money” types with a few residents’ association busybody Karen individuals and compared to my childhood there in the 1980s the sense of neighbourliness and community is far less than it used to be. Also there’s a lot of nearby places that claim to be in Castleknock, but aren’t.

But overall it’s a pretty good place to live. Just shockingly expensive property prices these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

if you are paying Castle knock prices make sure it is Castleknock as has ben said seems quite a number of places regard themselves as Castleknock but that would be stretching it a bit .

yeah that is a fair point, I’m looking at properties around Collegewood, located close to Castleknock college. Does it sound a fair place to live?

Hey, thanks very much for the detailed info, which helps me a lot!

More specifically, I’m looking at properties around Collegewood, located close to Castleknock college. Does it sound a fair place to live?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I presume people are talking about the likes of Roselawn and Glenville which are very nice places to live but absolutely aren't Castleknock. Collegewood is definitely Castleknock.

Collegewood is a nice spot because it's an easy walk into the village and it's accessible for all the schools. However it is a private estate so it comes with management fees and the like.

Also worth noting that a fair chunk of land beside Collegewood is planned for future building as far as I know.

But you could do a lot worse. I live in Carpenterstown, about half a mile away, and love it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

would say college wood is fine and is castleknock as has been pointed out .I suppose like anywhere you will have to see if you can about any future building plans and what is planned .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Try telling that one to the residents of Roselawn! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Sorry, where exactly are these ghettos that latch on to the Castleknock name?

Aside from the halting site on the Navan Road dualler I can't think of anywhere remotely iffy that's within a 20, even 30 minute walk of the borders of Castleknock, or within the area itself. The area is the wealthiest place East of Malahide and North of Ballsbridge in the entire city.

Eager to hear this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

A lot of estate agents took to getting creative about where the borders of Castleknock actually are, but broadly speaking if you take it from the north bank of the Liffey up to the south of the canal, the edge of the phoenix park from the Castleknock gates and anywhere up as far as the carpenter and maybe even Luttrellstown castle/golf course you're in safe hands. Also, north of the Canal is grand up as far as the Millenium Park and to the east of Power City as far as the M50... Delwood, Broadway, Roselawn is grand also. You start to get into ropey areas around the edges of that I'd say - Fortlawn, Hartstown, Sheepmoor are a lot more of a mixed bag (few bad eggs, plenty of good people, but you know the score).

That'd be my view, OP, but obviously mileage does vary! Those areas north of the canal are not Castleknock, no matter what an EA says, but Delwood etc are arguably much the same quality as, say, Sycamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Honestly, its a great area to live. Very accessible to the city and the M50. Worth the slight premium IMO.

Thank you everyone for the feedback

I'll do a little trip there in the evening maybe at 9 pm if the weather is ok, just in case as I don't want to deal with anti-social behaviour.

I'll do more research (the great advise in terms of the future building...I've never thought of that!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I don't think anyone said about ghettos tbh. The examples given already are good examples: Glenville and Roselawn. Very nice places. But are not Castleknock as much as some residents like to address themselves as such

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I once saw a advert in the window of an estate agent (back in the 1990s) for a house in Edgewood Lawns, Corduff, which located the house in Castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 prejay

Is there a good mix of communities in the collegewood or collegefort area? I'm looking to buy a property there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 prejay

Is there a good mix of communities in the collegefort and collegewood areas. I'm looking to buy a property there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭easygoing39

The OP is a TROLL,look at his previous posts about other area's to buy a house in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What parts of Castleknock are you referring to?

Advertisement