Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seeing is believing

• 04-08-2021 8:55am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Or not as the case may be. Slightly off topic, but I saw this video and thought some of you might enjoy it. Look carefully and you'll note the cubes are not actually moving, wonder would it work with statues? 😉

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The cubes aren't moving, but the illusion of movement is not created solely by the arrows. You can establish this by covering up the arrows (e.g. with your thumb); you can still observe the way in which the cubes are apparently moving, and you can see when the direction of apparent movement changes.

I'm pretty sure that this is an artefact of the black/white colour changes. I think these don't happen simultaneously at every point; there is a slight gradient whereby the colour change "washes" very rapidly in a particular direction, and it's that which creates the illusion of movement.

Could you use a similar technique to generate apparent movement in a statue? It would be difficult and of limited effect, I think. Firstly, the cubes are simple two-dimensional line drawings with no features other than colour, displayed against a featureless background. There's nothing in there to counter the illusion of movement created by the colour changes. That wouldn't be the case with a three-dimensional statue in a real-world setting. Secondly, you'd presumably effect the colour changes not by getting the statue to change colour from within, but by directing moving lights it. But inevitably, those lights would also shine on the background and surroundings of the statue, which makes it hard for them to have the effect of making the statue appear to move relative to its background.

Having said all that, a technique of this kind can be used to create illusions for stage shows, magic shows, etc. It requires overall dim lighting, and an object displaying against a dark, featureless background, preferably some distance away. And the effect produced is not so much "Oh my God! It's moving!" as "Did it move? Yes? No? God, y'know, it can't have! And, yet . . ."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Agree entirely with your synopsis on how the colour washes are fooling the brain into seeing movement that isn't actually there but remain fascinated by it in terms of misconceptions on how we perceive motion. I did a course a couple of years ago on computer vision for AI and would guess you could achieve a similar kind of illusion using shadow play on a human face. What the above optical illusion and others like it show is how much of what we see is actually the brain filling in gaps for what it thinks we should be seeing, based on various visual cues, rather than what is actually there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Also, hadn't the people seeing the statues move stared directly at the sun beforehand? Or am I confusing that with some other "miraculous" appearance in Ireland in recent years?

If they had been though, that could surely cause some sort of visual disturbance as powerful as the cubes above (and well done for showing us that, BTW - it's excellent.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Advertisement