Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning requirements for front Porch

• 02-08-2021 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi there I am wondering if you can help me on this my next door naihbour is after starting to build a porch on to the front of there house,

from the distance the block work and everything looks huge, and front my basic measurements from my own house it’s about 4M Square in size however no idea if you can build that big with out planning,

then they are after putting a window on the side of the porch that will be looking into our yard at all times and it’s about 3m from the boundary wall

so I am wondering is this legal ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭yurtyaherne

The maximum floor area for a porch that remains exempt is 2 square metres. Bear in mind that this measurement for this is based on the internal floor area and not the external dimensions of the structure.

With regards to the window, there is no stipulations in the particular exemption relating to windows but in the exemption for an extension it does state "any windows proposed at ground floor level as part of an extension should be at least one metre from the boundary they face" so maybe that would apply here.

The other limitations for a porch are "Where the porch has a tiled or slated pitched roof, it must not exceed four metres in height, or three metres for any other roof type" and "and is more than two metres from any public road or footpath".

Without the floor area, it is near impossible to determine if it is in fact exempt or would require permission. The only advice I could give would be to submit a development complaint to your local planning section and leave an Enforcement Officer investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭joebre

OP, either way, it is too big.

Wonder do you mean it is 2m2, ie 2m x 1m or do you mean it is 4m x 4m ?

As a side note, does anybody when the planning exemption for a porch came into effect and in particular, the requirement to be 2m away from a footpath or public road ?

Advertisement