Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting my house & moving abroad

Options
  • 01-08-2021 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Can someone lend me advice pls. My family and I will move abroad soon and I would like to rent out my 2 bedroom house near Maynooth.

We would like to return to Ireland every August and use the family home as a base for the entire month.

So, my question is, if I advertise my home for rent from say September 2021 to August 1st 2022, am I making the rental less attractive? In other words, would it put potential tenants off, as it will be only available for 11 months and not 1 year?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

After 6 months tenants will be entitled to part IV rights ie a 6 year tenancy so what you're proposing won't work.

Student lets might work but you won't get a full 11 month rental for that.

To be in honest, if you think you will get your home back, fit to be a holiday home, after a rental, I think you need to read a lot more threads on this forum.

As a former landlord I think you'd be mad to rent this place out. My advice would be sell and rent an Airbnb when you return each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jood22

We were in an almost identical situation. We have been living abroad for several years and rented out our property. As previous poster said once a tenant has been in house for 6 months they get part IV rights and, really, even though they might promise you the sun, moon and stars if they decide to stay for August you won’t have a legal leg to stand on.

There’s also the issue of damage and cleaning the place - the house will NEVER be as homely as you will have left it.

We are moving back to Ireland in the coming months and decided to sell our house as it just doesn’t ’fit’ us anymore. It turns out the tenants did quite a bit of damage to the place and we only kept an absolute minimum of the deposit as if they fought it they would in most likelihood win. You, as the landlord, would have to pay any legal costs etc.

There are a lot of factors to decide upon before you put your home up for rent. Good luck with it and the move abroad! It’s an exciting time.

Advertisement