Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2015 F30 oil consumption

• 31-07-2021 5:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

i bought a 316d in January 2020 116k on the clock with full BMW service history, in March at 123k I got a message that oil was at minimum and to add a litre - I thought it strange to be looking for oil so quick

roll on June at 130k the same happened again and the dealer took it to check for leaks, etc and could find nothing wrong and was just one of those things. In September I brought it back to have shocks replaced under warranty (they noticed it was leaking when they had it in June and ordered the parts for me) on my way home the low oil message came again.

In March 2021 I got a full oil and filter service at 146k

then yesterday while on the M50 at 154k I got the message again, I went into Frank Keane to get a top up

the dealer I use is 120k away and I live in Carlow

It seems to be consuming a litre of oil every 6-8k , even in my non mechanical female head this seems excessive but looking for your opinions?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Thats not overly excessive on a diesel, a bit higher than I'd want myself, but not outside the manufacturer specs be a long shot. We had our engine replaced (BMW based Toyota 2.0 diesel) under warranty due to oil consumption, but it was going through a litre every 1000km...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭greasepalm

German cars like their oil and best to carry a 1 litre of correct grade in boot of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Had an a4 for a good while and it liked its oil even though mine had tiny mileage when i queried it the service rep told me oil consumption per 1000km can be up to 1l and its considered normal nothing to worry about.

Funny though had an avensis 1.6 with 300k km that i sold to a fella he put 34k km up on it in a year and never went near the dipstick he told me it just didnt use any lol

OP Just the joys of motoring keep an eye on the level on the display an das others say carry a 1l top in the boot and you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nailstar

Thanks for your input guys, good to know it’s not excessive and yes I’ll definitely get a spare litre of oil to keep in the boot in case it happens again 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Compared to some BMW engines that's nothing, certain petrol engines were renowned for using as much as a litre every 1000 km, and as long as they were doing at least 1000 km on a litre that was considered within the spec of the engine. It is certainly unusual for a diesel to burn oil but it's far from excessive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement