Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to Leaving Cert English to get onto PME in Primary Teaching

• 30-07-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I believe you can do QQI level 5 to cover Maths and then do TEG as an alternative for Irish.

Have we got anything for English without having to sit leaving cert again????

As I said I think I already have the maths and irish bit resolved but not sure about english

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭clobber

I need something that is done is the least time. Even 1 academic year would be ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Could you do the leaving cert again?

If it is just for the sake of 1 subject probably not. Already have Maths equivalent done and that only took 12 weeks.

Haven't got the time at my age sorry

Where are you planning to do the pme? Maybe being a mature applicant you might not need the score

Don't know. I seemed to get no leeway from the institutes when I spoke to the main one(s) i.e Marino Institute. They said that you needed to meet the basics of English Irish and Maths which is the core to primary teaching.

I could be wrong

• Advertisement

Those course are fierce competive, have you tried Hibernia, they've very basic requirements

Hibernia were the first ones I spoke to. Can't post links here yet

And this is what's on their site to confirm what they told me

"Please note that the above are the only accepted entry requirements as set by the Department of Education and Skills (DES). As these are DES imposed requirements, unfortunately the College will not be in a position to accept any alternative qualifications."

" Mature StudentsNote that there are no concessions for mature students. All applicants must meet the same minimum entry requirements to be considered for admission to the programme, and all applicants who meet those requirements will be called for interview. "

All the colleges providing these courses are bound by the same criteria from the looks of it

Looks like the leaving cert is the only way to reach the minimum requirement, could you redo it then apply for course with the results pending? I took a year out myself in order to qualify, I think I was able to show them my determination in the interview by telling them I re-did some exams

Well this is it.

I am effectively doing it like this but not in the full leaving cert format. End of the day the only real leaving cert subjects that are key in primary are English, Irish and Maths.

If it takes that it takes it, but why do a leaving cert full of stuff that nobody needs other than these few basics. 1 of which I have already completed

I have also the higher end of 3rd level criteria met as I already have a masters. If I can narrow down the focus to the requirements that I do not already have and give those things my all then it would be a better fit.

Along with that I plan to be availing of experience in a nearby primary school as I know the principal there along with fulfilling these other requirements. So basically I'm supplmenting one with the other

• Advertisement

Being a teacher is about leadership, how do you expect the kids to follow the rules when you yourself are looking for shortcuts.

Yeah but I'm not teaching kids the leaving cert either, life sadly isn't always black and white and straightforward. This is something the world is trying to actually move away from teaching it's kids. Our current lives is a case in point of that

Anyway I'll contact the relveant bodies again about it. I'll need all the right information. Sunday is August 1st and I'll need to know what I can and can't do for the upcoming academic year or whether I need wait until next September now

Good luck and I hope you find a resolution

Thank you.

Think I will do what you suggested and do the leaving cert but it will only be in those subjects.

It will take that length of time to catch up on the Irish alone. I plan on doing the study regardless but I don't want to be missing academic timelines if I can either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 BettyBlue22

I'm currently a PME student in one of the traditional universities.

Be mindful the requirements are changing for the current year and they're becoming higher.

The GEM (Gaeilge, English, Maths) subjects are critical. If you need to repeat (any of) those subjects at leaving cert level, you don't need to do your full LC again. The number of repeat / additional subjects you need to do is not fixed, the subjects you did still stand unless you need to repeat them to meet entry requirements. The reason your English and Gaeilge need to be at that level is you will teach all the other subjects through those languages, depending on your school. Maths is pretty self-explanatory.

Before doing the TEG I joined a revision course for mature students repeating the Gaeilge component. I changed to a different course after a few weeks as it was focused on LC and I wasn't repeating, I was looking for something more TEG focused.

Hundreds of people apply every year. About 260 get accepted to the universities, and Hibernia has the same legal entry requirements as anywhere else for the PME. They're set by the DES, not the institutions providing the course.

If you're considering mature student entry with one of the universities to do primary teaching at B.Ed. level, then that will have more flexibility, but it's a longer course. If you're going to spend the same amount of time preparing to apply for the PME, then B.Ed. entry may be an option, if it is a financially achievable option?

Having a Masters already means you won't be eligible for SUSI support, whether you have had any grant support for traditional educational courses in the past or not, as grant support is only available if you're working towards an award at a higher level than your current qualification. Your masters will be an NQF level 9 already, so unless you're doing something at doctorate level, you're kind of restricted.

Oranage has already walked this path, and may have more information than I have, but if I can help let me know, I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jackie1983

Hi there,just wondering what you did in the end about the English ? I'm in the same boat for both maths and English, even tho I'm a fully qualified accountant. They still want me to do the QQI maths.

Any help on the English and maths options would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement