Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Euro to sterling

• 30-07-2021 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I am wondering what's the best option: I'm going to Northern Ireland for 4 days, is it better to change my money here before i go or use my debit card over there and withdraw cash?

If it's better to do it here, who has the best value at the moment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Use your debit card and don't withdraw cash at all. I spent a week in Enniskillen recently and managed to avoid cash altogether. And in case you're wondering, that included several visits to pubs. And pound shops. All of the pubs and restaurants have the wireless payment machines. Some of the restaurants we were in even had signs up saying that you have to pay at your table i.e. ask the waitress to bring the machine to you.

If you really want to have some sterling on you, just in case, withdraw it from an ATM when you get there. And if you really want to have sterling before you travel, get it from AIB or Bank of Ireland. An Post is never the cheapest, even allowing for their 'no commission' BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭sandra_b

I would use Revolut card - both for card payments and cash withdrawal in UK. If you don't have one - it will probably take more then 4 days to arrive.

if you don't have Revolut - I think the best option is to transfer some money to your credit card (so you have positive balance). In that case, you should not pay any fee on cash withdrawal. This used to be the best option before I get Revolut, maybe there are other/better options someone can suggest.

Advertisement