Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart locks with multipoint door compatibility

• 30-07-2021 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hello,

I have a multipoint door and am looking for smart lock options for the same. I was looking at yale smartlock solutions, however, there seem to be too many factors that come into play when it comes to how compatible a door is. After much deliberation, I figured its best to get advice form the experts on this board on what smart locks are possible to use for a multipoint door with multiple locking mechanisms. I have attached pictures of the locking mechanism on the door and would greatly appreciate any input/advice on which smart lock to invest in.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

setanter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭brio09

that got me to google your name and twitter bio :)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Setanter

setanter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The actual locking mechanism of the door itself isn't important, other than how many turns of the cam and what torque is required - and pretty much every eurocylinder (which is what that door uses) smartlock should be able to handle a normal door.

Basically the doors locking mechanism is all activated by a tiny cam on the side of the swappable cylinder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭blackbox

Slightly off topic, but do these locks have a feedback system.

I.e. if the door doesn't lock properly for some reason, does the remote operator get notified. ( on my car, if it doesn't lock you get a beep warning)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I need to replace a full external door. What are my options in terms of getting a smart lock on it? I am not sure it is common enough yet for door suppliers to offer them, certainly not seeing it advertised.

😎

ya smart locks compatibility seems to be so low for doors common in Ireland that we've given up on them for our front door. still considering it for bike shed / side door.

yale conexis l1 seems to be good - but you might need to see how to choose a door so that this can fit in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There'd be very little for a retrofit lock to be able to sense.

Coming back to this thread after an year... I bought the Yale L1 connexius, but I have not been able to remove my existing lock cylinder to install the Yale cylinder. I am planning to reach out to locks tradesmen but I am not sure whether they will be open to help or appalled that someone in putting electronics into door locks.

Has anyone had luck in working with locksmiths or handyman or some other trademen to install smart locks? If so, what kind of trademan did you approach and what was their reaction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭lardarse

Euro locks should be pretty easy to remove. I`ve replaced all mine a few years back, when i moved into a new house. You just have to make sure you do the correct inside and outside measurement for the lock cylinder. Do a search on youtube for "How to change a euro lock cylinder"

Now looks like you are replacing the whole lock inside and out, again you need to make sure you get the correct measurements, the length from the centre of the handle to the lock, then also the two screws that connect the two faceplate together. For this try searching for "fit a replacement multipoint door handle"

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnpackt

@brio09 Were you able to figure out whether Yale smart lock is compatible with your door. I have similar door and now looking for options.

@johnpackt yes i finally got yale conexis l1 installed and I'm happy to have it. adding pics here of the before, WIP, and end result. some got rotated, i dunno why.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 johnpackt

Thanks for putting pictures up. I have recently bought Nuki Smart lock 2.0 ( from Marketplace). So will give it a try as well.

Advertisement