Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orders from UK just not arriving?

Options
  • 30-07-2021 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭

My orders from amazon have been fairly smooth but things from ebay very strange.

Previous seller I used multiple times befofe brexit, I ordered a simple item. No sign after 3 weeks. He said he would send a replacement which would be two weeks now, still no sign. Not a small individual seller. A shop.

Second order from an auto parts eBay shop. Simple small item. Jiffybag size.

Two weeks ago. Still nothing.

These are well established sellers with 99% positive feedback so I have no reason to believe they didn't send items.

Thats 3 out of 3 that just havent shown up.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Could be stuck in customs. Amazon uses their own delivery methods, but the sellers on ebay use normal post or chose one themselves.

A lot of blackmarket activity also comes from the UK and that has been stopped by the bucketload in the past month.

As of July 1st, there is no minimum price for anything coming from outside EU before getting charged VAT. So all items no matter how small or of little value are stopped and checked if VAT is prepaid or if they have to work it out based on item value + cost of shipping. If it's not marked clearly for them, then they will hold on to the item to find out price/value.

Sellers in UK should have known this, so it would be their fault. They could prepay the VAT and charge you, or clearly mark/invoice the package with item price and shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,404 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

From UK ebay sellers it's been about 4-5 working days since Brexit. Pre brexit it would be 3-4 days.

Are you sure the goods are actually shoipping from UK and not a different non EU address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Thanks. Definitely not black market items and they were both from the UK yes. Power sellers. I had used one before and the other has a heap of feedback. Just very strange 3 out of 3 items didnt make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Also I thought ebay now charges the vat etc automatically if you are on ebay.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Sorry, I should have elaborated but I was tired and about to go to bed, I meant that there are so many items being stopped, that they could create a bottleneck of sorts and cause delays.

• Advertisement

I’ve had a few issues with U.K. sellers who are just putting items straight into a mailbox somewhere with a U.K. postage payment on it, no customs information and it eventually gets returned to them.

I think in the past a lot of underpaid items just got delivered anyway. Now, if there’s no customs labels, they don’t.

You’d be amazed at how many U.K. sellers don’t really comprehend that Ireland isn’t the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Deliveries from UK have been a disaster since January, either online shopping or trading.

What before it would normally take a few days now it's weeks! I've had customers screaming for their orders, and cancelling them, due to endless delays. The amount of paperwork is insane.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've noticed it. Non-amazon book deliveies mostly get through, but about 1/10 never show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I placed an order for some Chupa Chupps from eBay on the 12th of June. Weeks went by and I heard nothing. Contacted the seller and they stated they had sent them on but offered to send a second lot. Still nothing. I wouldn't mind but they are difficult to buy in quantity here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I've been buying from UK Suppliers for years. Mostly manufacturers. Since Brexit one of them has put a flat £50 charge on all Invoices to cover the extra cost of Irish sales and we pay customs on arrival, another had done the same but it's a 5% fee. Another has continued to send to us and the goods (pallets) arrive within 3-4 days but there's never customs charges and there's not VAT on the invoice.

But... there's 3-4 of our suppliers who have simply blanked us completely since Brexit. They won't return calls or reply to emails. These would be big enough companies and they'd be big enough orders but we can't figure it out. We're just blanked.

• Advertisement

In response to your last paragraph, that's just appallingly unprofessional.

They just arrived today. Not sure whether it's the first lot they sent or the replacement but they got here, about 6 weeks after ordering them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Klaudia.

Both my recent orders with bulk ie and my protein ie haven't arrived. I had to contact the shops and both said it's due to Brexit. It's a disaster! I partially understand bulk as they confirmed they sent packages from UK but my protein claims on the webpage that they're not impacted by Brexit. I'm furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

You bought food products from outside the EU, my best advise would be don’t bother, it’s an administrative nightmare.. A lot of couriers won’t even take food products from the UK anymore.. Find an Irish or EU supplier and save yourself the hassle and heartache

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Klaudia.

Well, how would I know they're shipping from the UK? Both those shops have websites with Irish domains - .ie, both are saying they're shipping to Ireland....

I know that now, as I contacted their customer care teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Unfortunately an .ie domain doesn’t mean very much and a lot of companies have a website with a different domain for each country..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

This applies to well known established companies in the UK as well not just those connected to online sales.1916-1922 or 1949 never happened for them.

They’re going to have to do something about that. It’s extremely misleading to have a domain in the EU and then ship from outside the EU and letting customers take the brunt expense of customs or shipped items not arriving.

If they’re clever enough to figure out that they need to setup a .ie domain, they’re clever enough to figure it out that they are unable to ship from the U.K. to Ireland without customs issues.

Plenty of companies are doing it correctly. I ordered Ecco shoes for example, and they arrived from Poland. I ordered ASOS, it shipped from Berlin.

I’ve sympathy for small businesses who are based in the U.K. and aren’t addressing this market, if you’ve an .ie domain, you’ve some kind of duty of care to actually serve Irish customers.

Advertisement