Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hiace rear drum removal problem.

Options
  • 29-07-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

A friend has a 2000 Hiace and I want to remove the rear brake drums to check linings and cylinders - it failed the brake test for the DOE

However the drums do not want to come off and the threaded holes have stripped the threads. I feel the big problem is the lip on the inside of the drum. Handbrake has been released and slackened off .

There is a small rubber grommet on the backplate - but I presume this is for checking lining thickness or can it be used to access and release the adjuster.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If grommet is a long shape it might be for the adjuster inside to release as might need a hook to pull the lever while turning the adjuster. Dont forget to slacken off handbrake tension to let lever return further.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Thanks for reply.

Handbrake cables are slack .

Grommet is a small round one so that probably means its just for inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Hmm is there one here like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO4cxxlRYsY

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

The van is owned by a landscaper and much caked on /dried out mud etc .

But having seen this I began 'digging' and found there is a slot even though its very hard to access - so I sprayed in some releasing fluid on the adjuster and it seemed to do the trick . Brakes passed on retest.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement