Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courtesy car no tax disc improper insurance disc

Options
  • 29-07-2021 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hey boardsies,

so after finally the other party in my insurance claim accepted liability and 3 weeks without a car which is still to be repaired. i got a courtesy car through the insurance company great i thought i can get around again!

without knowing at the time of getting it, the car from enterprise (211 reg) worth 40k has no tax disc on display?

it also has no green band on its insurance disc its black.

now being the driver of said vehicle i can only assume ill be liable for the €60 fine for failing to display a tax disc and what ever the fine etc for the insurance disc.

what should i do here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I wouldn't be too concerned about the colour on the insurance disc. And it's the owner, not the driver, who has to worry about the tax disc. Your main concern would be that if you're stopped at a checkpoint, the Gardai might seize the car because the tax is more than some number of months out of date. But if you park in a public place and get a ticket for non-display, it's someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

ok thanks, i was worried but dont understand why they wouldnt display the tax disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Just to add, the lack Green band on insurance disc might also be an issue as apparently its required. I just mention this as a recent other Thread relating to a driving test and it being cancelled due to tester noticing the color of the band had deteriorated and appeared blue, presumably from sun exposure, extraordinary yes but apparently under the road traffic act, the band must be on the disc and Green in colour. The driver may not be responsible in the OP"s situation but its another reason why Gardai may seize the car which would be most inconvenient.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Here's a mad suggestion - maybe it's not taxed!

You have issues with the colour of the band on the insurance disc and the absence of a tax disc. Here's another mad suggestion......why not ask the insurance company who supplied you with the courtesy car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

Poster above is wrong, it's the driver that will get fined for non display of tax if a garda stops you.

If it was a council parking warden that spots it the fine would probably go to the registered owner.

I got stopped by a garda in an enterprise rental van, I explained it's a rental, still got fined, enterprise did cover it in the end I think. I would be getting back onto them to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

i rang them this morning, it is taxed but they said they never recieved the disc, i checked for disc on my email and login with insurance company nothing there.

forgive me im just trying to be road legal dont want the stress of fines etc

Apologies, you are correct. But it's both the driver and the owner that can be fined.

The requirement to display a tax disc is set out in the Finance Act 1976. And it says that the person then using the vehicle as well as the owner are both liable to be be penalised if the vehicle is used in a public place without displaying a valid disc.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/16/section/73/enacted/en/html#sec73

Advertisement